1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Strata III - Denon 3802 - me clueless

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Desticado, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi folks.

In my ongowing search for an upgrade to the KEF SUB supplied with my eggs i've borrowed a REL Strata III to play with for the weekend.

to say im a little unclear how to set it up would be an understatement....

On the 3802 I have speakers set as small with the crossover at 120Hz.

I have a phone cable connected to the sub phone output on the denon and connected to the 0db input on the REL.

I've played about a little bit with the dials on the strata according to the leaflet supplied with it but im really not sure what Im trying to achieve (other that a sound I like)

I've looked at the thread on the Strata II which is ongoing at the moment but im still not much clearer.

If anyone can point me in the right direction Id be really happy.

Even better, if you're local, know what you're on about and want my undying gratitude (along with as much beer and whiskey as you can drink) then please drop me a line.

Regards

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

The Strata 3 is a little easier as its got mode switches. Simplest way is as you have it connected via the phono input, set the mode switch to 2 or 4. This ignores the crossover controls as your amp is controlling the cutoff. Then all you need to worry about is the low level volume control. Set this to about a third or halfway and then you can use the Denon SW channel level to balance it to 75db (if you have a sound meter).

The Strata 2 does´nt have a mode switch hence the slight confusion in that thread.:(

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the tip Jase
    Unfortunately though I dont have a Sound Meter with which to balance it....

Regards

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't find them very good for subs and do mine by ear. Turn the volume control on the sub up until you can just hear it then turn it down a bit.

If you have R1 version of T2 try the THX demo bits and try and achieve a seamless transition from sub to sats down the frequency scale.

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive got the R2 of T2. although I recall a THX test on that too.
    Also I've got the ultimate DVD thingy but Im not sure if thats any good for subs. I didnt find it that useful for the sats...

Cheers

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest way is to play a CD with much bass, not drums, real bass and adjust the low volume on the sub until you like it, I have mine on the middle...

Mode switch on 2, like Jase said...

7. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well after playing around with some old bon jovi, but mainly with T2 (NUKE dream - ch 47 dts) & gladiator DTS-es (Chapter 2) I've got it to a point im fairly happy with but I still feel its lacking.

Thing is though im not sure if its me or the sub.

I've got the REL strata III on mode 2, lo filter about half way, gain on max (D,6). The Phono input is plugged from the 3802 into the +12 db socket.

I've played around with the gain settings and no matter what I try I cant seem to get any real SLAM from the amp.

T2 - ch47 is a great example.

The bass is wonderfully ominous but it lacks any real ooomph as the shock wave hits.

Im now off to try my German Fifth Element, and Appollo 13 launch sequence.

Am I missing something.
    Its quite possible that im just being stupid, or its my room (kind of bare, wooden floor, but BIG soft sofas against two walls.

Here's hoping for some more pearls of wisdom, cause you guys have never let me down yet.

Regards

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On position 2 it bypasses the crossover for LO level, so it doesn´t matter what you set it for...

All you have to worry about is LO level volume, I have mine at 12 o´clock, and +12db too...

Play with the position of the sub, I have it behind the front speakers, in the corner you get more bass, but less tight...

You can try position 4 if your sub is out of phase...