Rel Strata 5 or Not?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bass007, May 31, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    After weeks and weeks of saving finally have enough funds for a Rel Strata 5, not having auditioned it and finding the time is almost impossible, just wondering if its good, bearing in mind I will only be using it for movies, main reason for going with this sub because of it remote, I have neigbours who may complain so it goes too wild I can turn it down.

System Onkyo 989 THX Amp, M&K K7 x3 and K4 trpoles

2. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +682
    I picked one of these up staturday and although its still running in ints a hel of an upgrade from my paradigm pdr - 10.

the remote is a definate plus but if your a tweaker like me you'll find your never putting it down and driving the mrs up the wall all day as well :laugh:

they do say tho if your into movies only then maybe the Q range is better than the ST so you might want to review your final choice. I listen to a lot of dvd-a and watch a lot of movies so the strata was the obvious pick for me. top reviews in both what hi-fi and home cinema choice so it cant be all bad :)

good luck i'll let you know saturday what its like ..it'll be run in by then and ive got the house to myself for the day and rotk dvd :thumbsup:

Turb007

3. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Turb007 how long does it take to run a sub in? Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am being told all kinds of numbers.

Thanks
    Fish

4. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +682
    The guys at sevenoaks s&v where i bought it said about 3 days constant use which i cant do due to work and family so i gave myself a week to be safe.

rel say 24 hours in the manual but not sure if thats constant.

i have to say it reallly does sound the bees nees already so if its still not running to top form its well worth the money

5. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanx for the replies I spoke to some people that have the q series and said that its more explosive hence better for movies, but because of neigbours I will have at low volume which I hear the ST series is better... any thoughts..

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most of us are striving to properly integrate a subwoofer to help produce a flat response from high up the frequency range to low down whereas you don't want to integrate the sub but to have it playing at a much lower level than it should be.

Bearing in mind that your main speakers are only satellites, have you considered swapping your M&K speakers for either standmounts or floorstanders with a much wider frequency range and not bothering with a sub at all. That way your system will integrate much better and you can probably play it louder without annoying the neighbours.

7. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I didn't think that playing a a low volume was a waste of a sub? What I ment is that I will not be playing at ref level 00 but more like 30-40 would it still be a waste of time?