1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Strata 5 for both music and movies

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by HarryW, Aug 10, 2005.

1. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I am looking to by whole new AV system for home comprising of the following kit.

Denon AVR 3806 (when it arrives)
    Denon DVD 3910

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Fronts
    Monitor Audio Silver RSX Surround
    Monitor Audio Silver RSC Centre

Rel Acoustics Strata 5 Sub-Bass

This kit will sit in a room that is 5.2 m long by 4.2 m wide and 2.3 m high. Will this sub be the right size for this room? Any advice on both the speakers and sub would be appreciated.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry,

I did own a Rel Strata V and it was partnered with the old MA Silver 6's and found it worked extremly well but saying that most Subs work well with speakers the key is to setting them up and with Rels intergration is one of there + points because you can have both Hi & Lo level connections running at the same time, its not a bad sub but you can get better and i would recommend atleast demo'ing a few before commiting youre self.

Regards
    John

3. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, i know very little about subs and an only going on what i read. Could you give some advice on what other subs to consider. Aslo should sub match a certain room size? Any help is appriciated.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry - I run an M&K MX350 in a room not much bigger than youre's and it performs very well indeed and i am also adding another sub to improve even further.
    I would also look at B&W's ASW750 or Velodynes range of CHT subs also, even M&K produce some good ones around the same price bracket as the Rel, SVS make some good subs too but are quite large in size but do produce good results.

Dem as much as you can. :)

Good Luck
    John

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Harry,

I've had a Strata 5 for a few weeks now & am very pleased with it. It integrates beautifully with my Quad 11l's front & center + wharfedale rears. My room is about 3m X 4m + it's open plan to another room, but the 3m X 4m is the main listening area. I chose it cos I found it great with music. I am also very pleased with it for
    movies. The Hi level input really is great for music.

If you want mostly for movies then I reckon you can get something with greater
    oomph than the Rel for maybe less money. The Quad L sub is worth a listen. It's £100 cheaper than the wood finish Strata & is beautifully finished, & has 300w amp. I didn't think it was as good musically as the Rel, but I think it would be awesome for movies

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    p.s. Definitely make sure you demo. I was going to buy a MJ acoustics ref. 200
    just off the back of reviews. Ian J persuaded me to demo one (thanks Ian), It was pretty hard to get a demo, but did eventually & I hated it with music, so I had a lucky escape.

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Depending on room size and positioning I would even consider switch the RS6 for standmount (RS1?) since you are going to buy a very good musical Sub.

Opinions?

8. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Timbo21, how do you find the Denon 3910 you have with music. Do you play CD's through it?

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Harry,

I find it great with music, especially via denon link to the 3805. I was wary of spending £700 quid on a SD player when HD is round the corner, but I wanted
    SACD player as well & the picture onto my pj via HDMI is so much better than my Sony HX900.

I had an old Marantz CD67SE & I never liked the sound of it. With pure direct on 3910 you can def. get a smooth top end, which I think is v. important. SACD is
    a great one to get into, especially since more care has been put in a lot of the time
    without too much digital limiting.

T.

10. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I glad you've said that. Their is a lot of talk out there about the DVD 3910 not playing CD's very well at all. What about radio through the 3805?

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263

When you say, not playing CD's very well, do you mean sound quality wise, or
    in terms of the player reading the discs?

In terms of radio I haven't used the inbuilt tuner. I usually get the radio on Sky
    & have it going into the 3805 via optical.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would agree with that. The new Denon players are not that great for cd playback. Both the 2910 and the 3910 are inferior to the older 2900 for cd playback. I would recommend you have a listen to a few alternatives before taking the plunge. I wouod suggest listening to the Marantz DV7600, Yamaha DVDS2500 and the Arcam DV78 and 79.

13. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I was on about CD quality.

Crustyloafer, will do. what is your view on the 3805 reciever? Pairing with the alternative CD players?.

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm no expert, but personally I think the amp might be the slightly weaker link in the chain, although it is very good, & of course you're meant to improve the source first.

I did consider the Arcam, but their's won't play SACD, which for some is
    inconsequential, but I definitely wanted one which could play them.

When demoing & checking the 3910 into the 3805 make sure you try it
    with denon link, since I was surprised how much it improved things.

You might want to consider not only an Arcam DV78/79, but trying the Arcam 250/300 reciever with them, since they are meant to be really
    good with music.

T.

15. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do thanks

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The 3805 is a pretty good AV receiver, particularly when it comes to movies. For stereo playback it is not bad, I've certainly heard a lot worse, but my money would be on the Arcam AVR250 for stereo performance, or possibly even the Marantz SR7500 which can be had for £900 and £700 respectively.

My main gripe with the Denon amps, and a lot of other Japanese models too, is the quoted power ratings are very unrealistic. For example the AVR3805 quotes about 120 watts per channel. What they don't highlight is that this is with only one channel driven, with all 7 channels drive it can only muster approx 40 watts to each of those channels. The Arcam AVR250/300 is rated at 75/100 watts per channel and with all channels driven.

You might also want to consider the fact that there seems to have been many problems with the electrluminescent remote supplied with the 3805, which varies from the expected poor battery life to numerous problems with the casework cracking and splitting and causing certain buttons to cease to function properly. Having said that, these cases are a handful from nationwide range of customers, as a dealer I have not had any such problems as yet.

As for CD players, well a dedicated cd player is likely to improve things greatly, there are very few DVD players that can compete favourably with cd players at even half their price.

I would suggest you get down to your dealer judge the product for yourself, after all its you that's going to listen to it, not us forum members.

17. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crustyloafer, that was intersting. Especially the watts from all driven channels. I was not aware that it was so low. I will demo both the Arcam and Denon setup in the next month.

18. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I doubt the Denon can only muster 40 wpc in 7 channel mode when it can output 110 wpc in 5 channel mode as measured by Home Cinema Choice magazine. The AVR300 was measured at 65wpc in 5 channel mode. These are measured by WV Tech Labs so are probably not made up ;) !!

19. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked Denon for clarification on this and the offcial responce to me was that the 120 watts was with all channels being driven :-/. I asked twice and got the same reply.

20. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I think that, while some of the lower range models (especially Onkyo) seem to have an inflated power spec, Japanese receivers are generally quite powerful after a certain proce range. My current Pioneer AX5ai-s is very powerful and my old AZ1 was a monster! Sometimes there is a pre-conception that Japanese amps are mass market and therefore of less quality than "home grown" items. While this may be the case in some instances, I think that the old adage that UK manufacturers are more honest than others does not always hold true.

I do agree with the Denon DVD player and CD quality. I have yet to be impressed with a Denon deck, given their pricing.

Russell