REL Strata 5 / AVR 300 setup

G

gramee

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I flipped a coin and it came down on the REL side..

I have just taken possession of a REL Strata 5 and I'm having fun with the setup, just wondering if anyone else has the same. What are the settings with regard to speaker size in the Arcam setup / x-over freq etc... Am currently using the hi and lo level inputs, am I correct in assuming that the hi level on its own will deal with 5.1 and 2 channel ?? ....and the lo level on its own will just deal with 5.1 and leave the 2 channel alone ??

I dont really want to use the hi level as the lo level is buried in the wall and if i start hacking at the wall to bury the hi level, I will be unmercifully killed by she who must be obeyed.

I'm running MA Silver S6i fronts so I'm not too bothered about the sub being integrated for two channel use.

Just letting it bed in before i set it up properly

Apologies for the rambling nature of this post, any advice will be gratefully received,

Graham :lease:

Hi gramee,

I'm about to receive a Strata V for my setup and I'm quite ansious to try it.

You must take in conderation that what the cut-of-frequency you use for the front speakers will afect the Hi level input in the sub.

I personally prefer to set my AV32R with a 80hz cut-off frequency. In this case, the use of the Hi level becomes useless. A completelly trust on the processor capability to do the bass managenent. I have tried the Hi level and was impressed with the result, but my preferences push me not to use it. Instead I have invested into a Nordost Cinemaflex bassline interconect that provided me with good results.

By the way, I've hard some comments about new Strata V's having problems.

Is this just a problem resulting form the 1st out-of-the-factory units?

Hi Neo

At what x-over does the hi level become redundant ?? I would prefer not to use it. The sub cable is a quality monster one but its buried in the wall.

The delivery of the sub was delayed by a couple of weeks, as apparently they are 'hand built' Saying that, the finish is superb, but no problems so far for me, sounding nicer (as far as bass can) the more it beds in.

if i just use the lo-level then, it'll use the .1 lfe channel from movie soundtracks ?? Not that clued up on sub technology.

Graham

gramee,

The issue is that if you cut-of the main speakers at 80hz, the hi level feed will only carry information starting from 80hz-up. Since the sub works on 18-99 hz range, basically you end up canceling it.

The only way to avoid this is to change the cut-off frequency in your processor to the lowest point everytime you want to use the hi-level feed. For me this is not practical.

If your processor is good, it will divert everything nelow the cut-off frequency and add the .1 information.

Still I can tell you that the hi-level conection works amazingly good which leads us to a pure personnal option. Try it for a while and you will get your optimum setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom