1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rel storm original?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gover_1, May 27, 2004.

1. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, so what can people tell me about this sub( rel strom mark 1), what would people pay for one of these second hand? so far it is a toss up between this and the mj acoustics ref 100, what would you go for? , also noticeble that i think i can get the storm a lot cheeper, is this a good sub, wanted for films, and music, thanks for your help all, mark

2. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am still using the original storm. I think its a superb sub (almost), goes stupidly loud (for my small room at least) and handles music and films nicely, although you do it more justice with film soundtracks I have to admit.

The only thing that drives me NUTS with my one, is that when I upgraded to a 5.1 amp and connected via the sub out you get a constant hum from the sub. I have had to turn the gains down so that its not as annoying when there are quiet parts in films. The MK1 doesn't have a phono type connector but uses an XLR one, the hum is eithe something to do with that or the shielding in the onboard amp, I forget which now!

I was once told (by someone on these forums I think?!) that this is a common fault with the MK1 Storm. I contacted Rel to see if there is a cure but never recieved a reply! :(

I pad £700 for mine when it first came out yeeeeeeeeears ago and up until I upgraded to a 5.1 amp I was thrilled with it. But the hum does ruin it for me now and I am thinking of upgrading.

So I would be interested to know what one would go for second hand as well....

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had a mark one Storm which I thought was an excellent sub and mine certainly didn't hum.

I had one or two problems connecting up an XLR cable as the pins aren't connected as standard and found the technical department at REL to be first class, responding to every query very promptly.

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmmm that is annoying!!

When I first purchased the sub and had it connected via and RCA jack to my old Yamaha pro-logic amp it humed. So I had the RCA choped off and connected it to the left/right speaker terminals and that cured it. However when the 5.1 amp arrived I had to use the RCA sub out so I had a connector re-attached to the XLR cable and back came the hum! :(

5. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers everyone, some usefull info here , have found one second hand for £100, seems to be less than other second hand storm mk1 subs, so think i will give it a go, mark

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If it works properly that is amazing value. Good luck

7. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yep is supposed to be in good working order, will tell you what my experience is when it arrives