1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL STORM II - any good??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by samjet, Jan 29, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    looking for a 'new' sub at a reasonable price and been offered the above for £250 (not on this site)

is it any good and what about the price?

thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't think that there is such a thing as a Storm II as they went from the mark one straight to the mark 3 version.

I have had one of each and they are both very good subs having earned five star reviews from all of the mags in their day. They have the usual REL flexibility of connection and whilst having sufficient slam for movies they have a nimbleness that makes them ideal for audiophiles too

I'm not sure about the pricing as I'm a bit out of date with second hand Storm prices but they were £900 new.

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks very much ian :smashin:

i assume it's a better sub than say buying a brand new bk for a few quid more?

actually whilst on the subject - regarding location i would be placing it in a corner on a solid stone 'bench' that forms part of the fireplace so it would actually be sitting approx 18" off the floor - would this cause any problems??

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    18" off the floor on a stone platform won't cause any problems at all and it may even increase the sound quality.

I'm not sure about the BK - Storm comparison. On sonic grounds only the Storm should go deeper and louder (don't forget that it was £900 new) but that is assuming that the Storm is in good nick as it will be a few years old by now.

5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Also don't think their was a mark II but there were two versions of the mark I. The early ones didn't have a phono input (I've got one of these at moment for hi-fi use) but I don't think they revised the model number when they added it. New price in 1997 for a black one was 699 but I think the current new price is 899 I think £250 would be ok for a very nice one. I paid about £230 for one 2 years ago and £150 for a beat up one last year. If your just watching movies though then a Paradigm PS1000 would be a good used buy at £100-£150 it goes louder than the Storm but not quite as deep.