1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Storm EQ graph, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, Jun 16, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done two tests just in case ones wrong- so I've got a average. What do you think?

Crossover dial on the subwoofer is set to maximum, processor 80hz. All others to small.

I tested it with the Snapbug MP3's, with a USB sound box with optical output. Processor to 2 channel with subwoofer. Amp's off, just the subwoofer was switched on.

Files are Excel, so rename to .XLS

Attached Files:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Test no 2.

Attached Files:

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Any idea why the two graphs are different?

There's a 7db peak in the second graph that isn't there on the first. Until you can get a repeatable graph, it's difficult to advise.

I stack a pile of cushions on my sofa (to about shoulder height) and lay the meter on top, then stand behind and to the side to take readings - I find it helps with consistency.

You have a big (10 or 12db) trough at about 55 or 60Hz (depending on which graph you look at). Technically, you could raise this with a BFD, but I'm not sure how practical this is.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta. I would say the 2nd one is the more accurate one, as I was switching stuff over on the first one.

For the second one, I didn't touch the volume and did the whole lot in one go.

I think it looks pretty good from 18-45hz, apart from that peak at 28hz. Goes a bit poo at 50hz.

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Lifting the troughs with BFD is generally not recomended. Reduce everything to the trough and globally bring up the level in the processor.

Steve

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Well, you could use a BFD to tame the 80Hz peak (-7 or 8 gain over about 10/60 octave should do it), but I'm not sure about the big null at 55Hz. Are you able to move your sub around?

Cheers,
    Liam

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I tried something like that, but I had to set my processor so low (-12db) so it didn't stay in the red when playing Toy Story 2 start that I couldn't turn the sub up enough. :confused:

8. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just want to drop a point, you could be measuring port noise & distortion at 22hz and below. Distortion and port noise sounds utterly un-bass like.

This is what works for me. Lifting troughs by 3dBs is a max for me. Even a 3dB boost is asking for twice the power from the sub. I suggest not to cut everything to match the trough, otherwise it will be difficult to get the sub to match the main's volume level.

If you could level off the peak from 63hz to 90hz, you should do well. Don't worry about that dip at 56hz. There is nothing you can do about it, short of relocating the sub. To boost that trough by 10dB means we're asking for 10x the power from the sub.

Once everything is more or less level (except that trough), you might want to start on a house curve. A flat bass response sounds horrid at best for movies, thou its nice for music.

Good luck. :)