1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Storm 5

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sarah Nya, May 13, 2005.

1. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya I was just looking for other peoples opinions on the Rel Storm 5 as I had a demo yesterday and to my untrained ears it sounded great. However, I just wanted to know how it compared to other subs in the same price range as I haven't had much of a chance to compare.

Thanks in advance!

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The Storm V is indeed great. Not only that, but it is small, very well built, well finished and can accept high and low inputs at the same time.
    Other subs that I have heard in the same ballpark are: B&W 750, M&K125 (can't remember the exact code), Jamo D 8SUB. There may be others, and I am sure that someone will fetch up SVS at some point, but I havent heard them. If I were to audition subs myself I would alos consider the new Quad sub and the Velodyne SPL range. However, I miss the opportunity to connect my sub at a high level, somthing I lost when I sold my Q400.

Russell

3. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks if I ever get a day off work I will see if I can listen to any that you mentioned.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In the price range for the Storm 5,I've tried the B&W 850,and the 750,and thought both were very good on music,as well as offering a good deal of grunt for AV use.
    The Quad is beautifully finished,but I didnt feel it was in the same league,but since you've also mentioned SVS,that's what I ended up buying after trying a good number of UK subs,and then listening to the advice of a few people here.

The only problem I can see with buying one is that you don't have the facility to try before you buy,unless you can find someone willing to demo theirs for you....on the other hand,the value,construction and performance are superb.

5. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks people, I think I'm gonna go with the Storm 5 it just sounded so smooth and I love wood finishes :D

Plus I don't wanna see another AV shop again until I'm ready to buy which hopefully won't be too long, just waiting for builders to remove my fireplace as I'm going to put the TV there!

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Is the new Storm in the £2000 bracket? :eek: Or was that a typo?

7. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must have been, the Storms a grand!