REL Storm 5 set up

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bass007, Jun 2, 2005.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I have had the Rel Storm 5 for some time now, and I still haven't managed to set it up correctly.

"It say's in the manual that I should connect the High Level cable even if I am just using it for HT use, and if I do that I have to set the main speaker to LARGE" is this correct? Because its only just occured to me that the frequency on the Low level has no effect!!

2. LindyLou

LindyLou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a REL strata III and have had it working very well with a Yamaha AX1 for a few years now. I had deep powerful bass that could be felt and heard without any boom. I now own a Yamaha Z9 and Axiom speakers and have been struggling to get it working as well! I run both the high level and low level connections as I have found that with the high level connection disconnected there is no sound in stereo and somehow even the surround sound bass from the Rel is quieter without this connection.

I have found that with the main speakers on Large and using the Bass Management system in the processor and switching the Mode on the Rel to 2 to bypass the ABC filter circuits I am (slowly) beginning to get somewhere.

Lots of useful informatioon on the Axiom website www.axiomaudiom.com

Good Luck

David

3. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried using the track 4 from the "sneakers" as suggested by Rel ?

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I've heard several Rel subwoofers working very well with just the LFE input.
    I think if you have both connected it starts to get a little complex.

If you are using just for home cinema & you want true .1 mix to the sub
    then forget the neutrik input for time being.

Don't set your fronts to large - Rel advises setting to large because then you will get low freq sent to the hi level neutrik connection which you won't if set to small (this is especially important if using sub with stereo music) - However, set fronts to small & whatever Xover frequency is appropriate i.e. something like small satellites xover might be about 80hz & for larger bookshelfs then maybe something like 60hz. Fiddle with the subs Xover around 80hz or 60hz respectively, might even sound good at slightly above like 87hz or 67hz & adjust the LFE volume + slam & septh to your taste.
    Hopefully you should get something that will start to make more sense with your movies.

Later on if you want to try with music, then connect the neutrik & set fronts to large. Some people connect hi & lo together for movies so that they get
    some extra lo frequency being sent to the sub additional to the .1 mix.

5. LindyLou

LindyLou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not been able to find a copy. I assume it is a CD? Any suggestions where I can source it from?

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi I just spoke to Rel and they said even if I Just use the sub for Home Cinema I still need to connect the Hi Level Cable and SET all SPEAKERS to LARGE, and I have to do this in stereo mode on the Procesor/Reciver, beacuse the bass Info on the DVD Track in the left and right channels contain BASS material, hence setting the Speakers to large. I will try and report back.

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    You don't 'HAVE TO' set your speakers to large. Rel's way is not the only way.
    Hi Fi choice magazine actually don't recommend running Hi & Lo inputs simultaneously, although some people like to. They recommend Hi level for just HiFi & Lo level for films. I'm not saying you shouldn't follow Rel's advice.
    BUT, if you are having problems it just might be easier to try what I suggested in my earlier post, because it makes things a lot simpler & probably an easier starting point. Additionally, many people feel it is better to set your speakers to small on the fronts because they distort less since they are not trying to reproduce bass frequencies which they can't handle, & then this lets the sub handle the lower frequencies.

Give it a go if you can't get things happening the way Rel suggest. It really shouldn't be too hard, and it is really a matter of personal preference as to
    which way you find works best for you.

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It really depends on your AV receiver. I used to have a simple stereo amp with a seperate AV processor and had my REL connected to the Hi Level inputs. This obviously means you will always have the sub active and need to fiddle around quite a bit in order to get the kind of sound you want. HiFi purists will probably go :eek: here, but I quite liked the sound I got from it.

However, now I've got a decent AV receiver and only have the sub connected to the low level input. All the rest is done in the setup of the receiver. I have the front speakers set to large but set a certain crossover level. I have the sub on together with the front speakers for multichannel and normal stereo, but for example in Pure Direct Stereo only the front speakers are in use. You can also set it to THX mode which means for certain low frequencies it will only use the sub and not the front speakers.