Rel storm 3

Chewbacca

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I need some help regarding buying a new sub.
I have recently moved to a big victorian house the front room which will accomodate My av gear is 18 foot by 18 foot and the height of the room is roughly 10 foot.

At the moment I own a Rel quake which I found to be ok in our last house which was a small cottage.

I have been doing some research regarding subwoofers and I would be very grateful if somebody would give Me some feed back regarding the rel st range of subwoofers especially the Storm 3.

My amp is a pioneer vsx 06 and my speakers are b&w 601's at the front.
:smoke:

The Storm 3 is an excellent subwoofer but expensive to buy new.

If your interest is primarily film, there are subs that will go louder and deeper that are also cheaper but if you listen to much music there aren't many that can rival the timing and connectivity of the Storm

Agree with Ian J.
I own a Storm III. Good for film but so much better for music.
Well, I'm a Storm lover.:D

@Ian J: Yep it's off Topic, but tell me where or what is M42 corridor?:rolleyes:

The motorway running from Birmingham in the West Midlands towards Nottingham in the East Midlands

Thanks very much I have just taken a look at the SVS web site are these subs the dog's b******* or is it all a load of hype.

I have read other people's threads on this forum and people seem to rave about these sub's if they are as good as people say which model's do people recommend.

Also how does SVS compare with the likes of REL and other well known makes :D

Originally posted by Chewbacca
I have read other people's threads on this forum and people seem to rave about these sub's if they are as good as people say which model's do people recommend.

Not hype at all. I upgraded from a REL Storm to an SVS 20-39 PC plus which was actually cheaper and the difference is amazing. The SVS will reproduce much deeper notes with far less distortion than anything else at that price and it plays a tune very well too.

The 20-39 PC Plus has been the most popular model and that is available at less than £700 all in with the current weakness of the dollar. The reason that these subs are such good value is that they are only available direct from the manufacture so there are no importer and retailer overheads and profits to be factored in. You would be hard pressed to match the ability of an SVS without paying twice the price.

Hi Ian

I think I have read almost all the posts regarding SVS subs now and have decided to bite the bullet & go for a SVS PC+ sub but at the moment I'm not sure on whether to go for the 20-39 or the 25-31.

My room is only small, 3m square with a concrete floor, no odd shapes, windows etc. and one door for entry/exit. I do like nice deep bass and to be able to feel it.

So, which would you suggest bearing in mind that I won't be playing films at reference levels (except in demo's of course ;) )

Thanks for your help.

Paul

The smaller sub would be more than adequate as although it is nominally tuned to 25Hz it can be retuned to 20Hz if you wish by plugging one of the three ports with the supplied bung.

Although I plug these subs at every suitable opportunity I would remind you that they are not small and you won't be able to hide it in a 3m square room.

Wow Ian, quick reply or what, do you spend all day on the forums? :p

Thanks for your advice, that's the way I was leaning anyway and you have just confirmed it. I appreciate the comment on size, but the room will be a dedicated room, for me & my missus only & I'm sure it will sit nicely in the front corner of my room.

How long do they take to come by the way?

Thanks once again.

Mine took 10 days from order to arrival on the doorstep but I am not sure of the current delivery times.

[email protected] is very helpful and should be able to answer your questions about delivery times

I have been looking at the SVS web site has anybody come across the SVS PB2 ULTRA box sub it sounds very good on paper.

Does any other sub company come close to SVS subs or are these the dog's b*******.

So am I right in saying that I should not go out and buy a REL instead buy a SVS box sub and would the SVS PB2 ultra be too big for My room 18 foot by 18.

Originally posted by Chewbacca
So am I right in saying that I should not go out and buy a REL instead buy a SVS box sub and would the SVS PB2 ultra be too big for My room 18 foot by 18.

My belief is that whilst other sub manufacturers do rival SVS in performance it is always at a much higher price.

The PB2 Ultra would not be too big for your room and I think that you would be the first forumite to get one. Now that more people are beginning to look at the larger box subs I am starting to get feelings of inadequacy as I have only got a 20-39 PC Plus :(

Thanks for the advice Ian Its going to be a couple of months yet until I order one hopefully the house is still a building site :(

I do value You advice alot but I am a little worried ordering a sub like this without hearing it in action first its a big purchase for Me.

One other problem how do I tell the wife ha ha:p

With a PB2 Ultra i rather tend to think you will have (most sincerely) feelings of awe and shock as opposed to "dissapointment"?

You simply cannot compare something like this to a Rel Storm for example.
Terms like "eats for breakfast" or "blows out of the water" REALLY grind my gears and dumb down (IMHO) any post that they relate to, however a PB2 Ultra will make the Rel appear like a standmount speaker (in the performance stakes) by comparison.

Steven

Ian,
having read all the reviews on SVS I am on the verge of ordering but cannot see how to get the 20-39 plus for under £700.

Basic cost from SVS website is $825
Erik at SVS has quoted $235 for Bax door to door delivery (Bristol)
Import duty is 4% on $825 + $235 = $42.4
VAT is 17.5% on the total $825+$235+$42.4 = $192.92
This gives a total of $1295.32 = £731.82 at 1.77$ to £1.

Have I got the sums wrong somewhere?
I can save some money by collecting from Bristol Airport for $140 but will have to pay brokerage charges which are already included in the door to door price. As I dont know what the brokerage charges are I am not sure how much this will save.

There seem to be two different delivery charges depending on which airport is your local.

Mine came through Birmingham airport and being on the cheap scale only cost $125. Once the Vat on the delivery has been included the difference between the two delivery points is $135

Hi Adamsdad
Its still a good price mine cost just over 800 quid last august,still worth it though you wont be dissapointed.
Cheers Gonzo.:)
PS go door to door it can come to more collecting from the airport extra hidden charges.

I've been dreaming of owning a big REL (I now have a strata 3) for what seems like ages now. But the last days I've been reading alot about the SVS PB2.
I now have a new dream. Though i have a few questions:
Can I connect it using high & low level with my front floor stands as I do with my REL? Or do I have to rely on my processor's bass management and set all my speakers to small? Would it be pointless (a big no no) to keep my strata connected with my fronts and have the SVS for only LFE duties?
How do 2 PB2 Plus's compare to one PB2 Ultra? they come to the same price.

I won't be buying soon, I have to build the house first, but I can dream..:rolleyes:

marc

I upgraded from a £1,000 REL Storm to a £740 SVS 20-39 PC Plus and what a difference it made. You can connect via high and low level together but I don't see the point in retaining the Strata as the SVS will handle it all with aplomb.

Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions relating specifically to the PB" Plus or Ultra as I have no first hand experience.

If no-one else answers, drop Tom Vodhanel a line at SVS as he is that great rarity, a salesman with integrity.

I have heard several SVS now and own a Stentor amongst others, I would take SVS over the Stentor anytime (The Stentor is second from the top in the Rel range, way above the Storm which I also used to own)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom