1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Stampede or Strata 5

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dracula, Oct 12, 2004.

1. dracula

dracula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to purchase a subwoofer narrowed it down to the stampede and strata 5.

Just a few questions about these subwoofers:

1.) Does the finish of the subwoofer make a difference in terms of sound? Or is this purely for aesthetic purposes?

2.) Is the strata 5 the better of the two and is the difference worth the increase in price?

I know that listening to the subs myself will clear up my questions just wanted to get other peoples comments before I go in and form my own.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes the finish is not just for aesthetic purposes, it makes the sub more rigid and therefore less resonance so a better sound.
    Also in HiFi Choice i think it was last months issue it did a review of the Strata 5 and the Stampede and for the price difference the Stampede came out better as it was quite a bit cheaper and not much difference in the quality of bass that they both produced.
    Hope this helps

John :)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    We have both the Stampede and the Strata 5 in our shop and i have to disagree with the Hi-Fi Choice review. The Strata 5 has a lot more 'balls' than the diminutive Stampede. The Stampede is good, but it is really just a more musical version of the Quake in a slightly bigger and better built box and with remote control too.

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Crustyloafer, any chance you've been in hi fi retail long enough to remember the REL Q50? I've owned one for nearly six years and am toying with replacing it with the Stampede or possibly a Q150, both of which are quite a bit smaller than the bulky Q50. If you recall the Q50, would you expect a decent improvement in musical performance if I upgrade? A smaller unit would be handy, but I'd want a step up in sound quality as well for the wonga.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've been around since the dawning of time and I would suggest that the increase in sound ability could well be a lot less than you may think which is what makes it so important that you have a demo

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Q150 is better suited to movies and the Stampede is probably better with music.

John :)

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I do remember the Q50, very nice sub, particularly as at the time there weren't many goods subs about at all. If you want a noticebaly better sub that's smaller than the Q50 then I would probably suggest looking at the Q201 which is about the same size as the Q150 but much better built and more powerful. Having said that, if musical performance is your main requirement then you should really be looking at the ST range of subs from REL. At around the same level as the Q201 but much better for music is the new Strata 5. It is a little bit larger than the Q201 but if you get it in a finish that matches your surroundings then it can still be regarded as very discrete, especially compared to the Stentor 3 which I currently use. As Ian has already stated I would recommend you arrange a demo of some of these subs and make your own mind up.

8. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds like a substantial improvement in sound is not a foregone conclusion. I don't want to pay out significant wonga just to see more carpet. Thanks for the input.