1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL setup help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mouse100, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mouse100

mouse100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Folks,

I'm now the proud owner of a REL Q150 E mkII and it seems to be a great piece of kit. However, i've got some questions that other REL owners might be able to help me with:

The manual says that RELs are not simply subwoofers, but true sub-bass systems. I says that you need to forget everything you know about subs when using a REL. Fair enough.

It then says to to always use the high level input, connected to the front main speaker terminals on the amp and then use the crossover and level control to acheive integration.

On a cinema setup you set the mains to 'large' and then also connect the LFE output to the low level input on the REL.

This gives a full-range response for music with the front main speakers and sub via the high level input and then additional low frequency effects via the LFE channel.

This means that i've got two connections, two level controls and two crossovers to play with, which seems to be quite complicated.

For movies, i've got the amps crossover set to 80 Hz and for stereo, i've reduced the amps LFE channel to the minimum.

It seems to work, but i was wondering if i could get the same performance just using the LFE input. I've not had time to play about with it yet.

Any ideas/experience out there?

Cheers,

Martin

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We ran a survey in this forum some while ago asking people how they had connected up their subs and the vast majority connected up only via the LFE socket and had their main speakers set to small. Try it.

Keep the amp crossover and set the mode switch to 2 so that it defeats the subs crossover and lets the amp handle all the bass management

3. mouse100

mouse100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Ian,

My dealer demo'd the sub this way and it seemed to work fine.

Then i read the REL manual when i got it home...

I just want to get the best performance out of the system.

Cheers,

Martin