REL set up. To fellow noobs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mothroth, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope this is the right place for this....

I recently inherited a REL R305 from my father in law who upgraded. Having had an original Strata since it was released many moons ago I deftly ignored the Nuetrik Speakon plug socket and plugged in the .1lfe phono and sat back.
    Hmm it banged and boomed and was a 'mare.
    I just wanted to voice this to anyone else who might not realise the difference a Neutrik cable makes. Once I'd contacted REL and had one posted to me - it has worked like a dream. I realise there are uber subs out there that will literally shake your spleen out the nearest orrifice, but the depth and speed within my lounge are amazing.

I have now re-connected my strata (which does not have the neutrik) and run the 2 together - and it sounds even better! I have the strata set at it lowest roll off point and have turned the volume waaaay down. It seems to fill in where the sealed R305 drops away. No boom (little) is evident and the tried and tested HNRR test disc frequency tests (and garage door) sound great.

I hope that helps anyone new to this forum to go along with REL's advice. .1lfe and neutrik all the way with fronts set to large.

Got to go now - I have some fillings to dislodge :devil:

ps the service from rel was really good. They sent me spikes and a replacement glass instrment panel cover too - next day delivery and very good prices.

2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    With fronts set to large your actually not using the lfe channel when connected using the speakon cable.

3. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Really? Oh... If you look at the set up guide from REL it says to hook up both lfe and neutrik but to set the fronts to large.
    My strata is only getting lfe (I used a phono splitter) and that's rumbling away nicely.
    Do you mean it gets a reduced output?
    It's pretty tricky for the uninitiated like me... It sounds good though!

4. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    All the speaker channels get the full frequency range, and the .1 lfe channel is its own discrete encoded channel. The lfe channel only has the 2 - 120 hz range encoded into it and this channel is 10db louder than the normal channels. The lfe channel is separate and only sent via the low level connection. When the speakers are set to small, the 80 hz and below material encoded in the speaker channels is redirected to the subwoofer via the low level connection and it summed together with the lfe material.

With speakers set to larger, the 80 hz and under stuff stays with the speaker channels. The high level connection reads this from the speakers and reproduces this bass via the subwoofer. If the speakers are not set to larger, the high level connection will not work as the 80hz and under material is filtered off and redirected to the subwoofer via the low level only.

The high level input uses a different analogue filter profile than the digital filter in the processor, so although both connection methods basically do the same job, how the frequencies integrate between sub and speaker is slightly different and needs slightly different set up.

5. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    All the speaker channels get the full frequency range, and the .1 lfe channel is its own discrete encoded channel. The lfe channel only has the 2 - 120 hz range encoded into it and this channel is 10db louder than the normal channels. The lfe channel is separate and only sent via the low level connection. When the speakers are set to small, the 80 hz and below material encoded in the speaker channels is redirected to the subwoofer via the low level connection and it summed together with the lfe material.

With speakers set to larger, the 80 hz and under stuff stays with the speaker channels. The high level connection reads this from the speakers and reproduces this bass via the subwoofer. If the speakers are not set to larger, the high level connection will not work as the 80hz and under material is filtered off and redirected to the subwoofer via the low level only.

The high level input uses a different analogue filter profile than the digital filter in the processor, so although both connection methods basically do the same job, how the frequencies integrate between su and speaker is slightly different and needs slightly different set up.

6. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got it cheers for that. I've set it to small now so I'll see if that makes a positive difference.

Love this forum. Thanks again!

:)

7. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    When watching films you should notice little difference to be honest, because the lfe takes priority over the re-directed bass as its 10db hot. You might notice the difference more during music listening were the sub will reach higher up the range due to a smoother roll off. Be interesting to see what you think anyway.

8. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Makes a small difference to films. Biggest win is with music. My Sony amp has a 2 channel direct setting that avoids any surround processing (not exactly as pure as my passive pre amp / mono block set up but 'purer'). Before your suggested tweek that setting sound weak and tinny. Now it sounds excellent! Much more like it.
    Cheers again for the tip.

9. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    How exactly is your systemset now then. If your happier now, then thats great news.

10. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fronts set to small. Lfe in place. Sounding good :)

11. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    So have you scrapped the high level connection all together now? To be honest, I would argue that you might as well given your only running small sats.

12. mothroth

mothroth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No I've kept both in place. Main reason and I don't know why this is, but when I run just the lfe the sub sounds great via the sky+ but is way too loud via the ps3. Music too sounds better using the direct 2 channel which bypasses the lfe. Keeping the 2 connections is working nicely.
    God know why the volume between sources would be so stark.