1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Quake

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Chewbacca, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello You lovely people I have just bought a REL Quake sub and I was wondering if it is benificial to purchase a second one as well or is this going over the top a little.
    If I was to buy a second sub would I be able to go for a different sub to acompany my Quake?

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you need a second one, wouldn't it have been a better idea to buy a bigger one in the first place?

3. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    possibly mate but I value my Marriage I no where you are coming from but divorces are quite expensive these days.:)

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528

So are subwoofers.... :D

5. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can say that again:devil:

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go ahead, buy the second one, it can only improve things... ;)

Don´t forget to place them symetrically, you only have one sub set-up on the receiver...

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    mmm from all the comments it seems you people dont think he has made a good choice in buying the quake ;)

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My comment only means a second subwoofer is always better, maybe even more if it is so small...

I never heard the Quake, it looks very nice, if tinny, if it is anything like its big brother, the Strata IIIs I own, it should be fine...

Unlike so many people that slam the Quake, just because they read something in the forum by some auto proclaimed gurus, but never heard it... :p

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't

This auto proclaimed guru has heard it.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know I don´t mean you or Uncle Eric, but maybe be your standards are a bit too high... ;)

Like mine...

But one must take into consideration the size and looks requirements, along with the quality of the gear some people has...

I don´t think this clubistic aproach to hifi is useful at all, although unavoidable, brands go from the best in the world to garbage in just a few days... :rolleyes:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm no REL basher as I have just replaced my Storm mk1 with a Storm mk3 and I love it.

I don't like the Quake though. I made the point after hearing it at the Manchester exhibition that the overall sound was much improved when they switched the Quake off.

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We know you aren´t, but we also know there are plenty, all of a sudden... And I am, again, not including Uncle Eric...

Hmmm... audioshows... I have been there... nice to look at new equipment... but not much more... :devil:

Maybe the speakers they used had more, better bass, than the Quake, maybe they where wrongly setup, maybe the room was unappropriate... who knows... :confused:

Now, with eggs, or other small speakers, I think the Quake can only improve things, don´t you ???

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the quake at the manchester show was being demoed by rel and it sounded awful. no the rooms are not ideal but other equipment being demoed in other rooms sounded ok-the gallo balls and sub sounded great when I listened to them in a similar room. by the way I like the rel st range and am not a knocker of rel in general.

15. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had my quake for bout 2-3 months and theres one VERY important aspect with the quake- positioning.

All subs have too but with the quake it is very important, took me weeks to get the bass to feel rather than heard as my mission 774s handle bass quite low.
    Then last week my girlfriend moved it to put up the xmas tree about 1 foot from where it was. i had a right go at her but i heard from its new position and i cant believe what this little sub is capable of doing now, more feel, lounder, i thought she mess about with the settings, had a look and at the controls and they are the same. Just 12 inches made about 100% improvement after i was happy with were it was. (i was so please i made love to her longer).
    dont bother with a second one(just get one of its big bros).
    ok:)

16. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,084
    So has this one.....................;)

Kev

17. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never even heard them... you may be right, but I insist that an audioshow is not adequate to evaluate equipment...

In Lisbon´s audioshow, Sonus Faber dealer had the full Cremona AV speaker system, over 10.000 pounds, with top AR electronics, and it sounded awfull... see what I mean... :confused:

18. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You will have to leave the xmas tree up all year now ;)

19. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +619
    I have a set of Sony Pascals which I admit do not sound as good as my brothers Kef eggs, but remember the Pascals cost half the price of the eggs, anyway, I recently tried the Rel Quake with the Pascals, and can definitely say that the change in the overall sound was amazing, they now had a midrange and much more. I think with the Quake, they sounded at least as good as the Kef Eggs set-up that my brother has.

No doubt someone will tell me how wrong I am, but I know what I heard. I would love to have a better set-up, and do not doubt the fact that there are much better Subs out there for around the same price, but I cannot fit them into the living room as easily as I can with something like the Quake.

Life is a compromise, and I think the Quake is a good one.

cheers
    Mij
    Btw: I had a demo Quake that had been well used, and I use the Marantz SR5200 amp.

20. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have also had my Quake now for 2 months and to be honest it does the job for me.
    I live in a terraced cottage and I do not want to fall out with the neighbours.
    My Quake is situated near the front is this the best postion or should I have a tinker with it.
    Has anybody auditioned the ASW210 by Monitor Audio if so I would love to hear they views please as mine was very poor indeed.

21. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try near a front corner, maximum 53 cms from each wall, so the reflections come in phase, for xover 80hz...

Move it closer and further until you like the sound best, mine are 53 cms from both walls, back and side...

22. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank's lowrider for the tip I will let you know how i get on:)