1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake vs. REL Q108

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by esquire415, May 13, 2005.

1. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a REL Q108 that I just bought. I noticed that this US version does not have the SLAM/DEPTH switch that the UK version Quake has. Am I missing something on this one, or is this just a gimmick that can be emulated through the controls available on the Q108?

You may look at the back sides of the Quake and Q108 here (pp. 8-9).

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/manuals/Q-Series-Manual.pdf

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Seems like a gimmick to me ,why can't you have slam as well as depth ,having a "party" mode just seems cheep to me. :boring:
    I looks like its just filtered to give an higher output that doesn't drop below 40Hz,good if your in a "party" mood.

3. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand, SLAM produces louder bass at the expense of going deeper and DEPTH gets down to the lower frequencies without experiencing distortion so it drops the sould level. Now I don't know how this is controlled. It probably overrides the settings you made with the other switches and controls to prevent the driver from getting any distortion or damaging it altogether.

4. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I write the distributor about the slam/depth switch and this is their response: