1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Quake vs Mordaunt Short 309W

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nheather, Apr 19, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    How would you guys rate these. The reason I ask is that I have the opportunity to purchase either of the following for more or less the same price

(1) Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus (set inc 309W sub)

(2) Mordaunt Short Premiere Satellites and Centre plus Rel Quake sub

Option 2 is really attractive to me, but not being sub-savi I'm unsure whether I would be wrong to go that way.

So how do the Rel Quake and MS 309 compare
    Would the Rel Quake sit well with the other speakers

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    I haven't tried it personally but there is no reason why it shouldn't work. Guardedly optimistic performance figures aside, the Quake isn't a bad unit and it is a great deal smaller than the 309. The 309 will go lower than the Quake (everywhere but REL's listening room it seems) and it will be a little bit easier to intergrate with the sats as we designed them to work together and the notch filter flattens the response and integration. But it is bigger and more cumbersome.

Your call I guess.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    I've done a bit of research myself and these are my conclusions.

(i) Although the Rel is a good sub, it's size is a limiting factor and the MS 309 will perform better in most situations.

(ii) For small speaker systems in particular, the MS 309 is a much better option because its frequency range extends higher (200Hz) and is therefore, more capable of filling in the bass absent from the satellites and centre.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Cheers,

Nigel

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I have had some experience with both, and would go with the MS. It's not hugely bigger but it does go lower and louder, the REL like the MJ Ref100 sounds lovely but does run out of steam pretty early on which is a shame. Placement of the MS is a little more critical due to it's porting.

I hope this helps.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Nigel, the 309 will go to 200hz but given the premiere crossover should be nearer 100, both subs could handle this.

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Hayes

Agree with what your saying, apart from the size - the MS is 2.5 the volume of the Rel. When you compare them side by side the MS looks like a monster!

Tons of Fun

I appreciate that the sats and centre go down to 100Hz and therefore, the cross-over should be around that frequency.

I made the statement after reading the Rel Quake manual which states "Standard Depth Mode 20Hz - 100Hz provides maximum bass extension and is strongly recommended where the highest possible fidelity is demanded"

This suggests to me that the top end of the Rel is equal to the bottom end of the MS speakers. Assuming that the limits are quoted at at least -3dB this would mean that there would be a hole around 100Hz. I assume with the 309 that you would set the cross-over to 110Hz or 120Hz to ensure that there is no hole.

My knowledge of subs is purely through what I have read so please let me know if I am talking garbage.

On a side note how would the BK XLS200 compare

Cheers,

Nigel

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry, my fault! I read Premier system which my brother has, but the first version with the 308 sub!!! That little thing is impressive but the 309 walks over the REF100 or Quake. But as you have pointed out, something has to give, and that is the size!!!