1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake -vs- B&W ASW675

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Ess, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Since I had to reposition my REL Quake behind me (used to be in a corner next to the TV) after installing a Plasma and new 5.1 Speaker setup, I have lost its punch in Music and bass presence in Films. I have managed to get it almost the same but its now not in a corner and so it bottoms out easier ( I like quite bass heavy music and films). I have the opportunity of getting a ASW675 to replace it (second hand) but will have no comeback if I buy it and it doesn't improve things. I have no other positions for it although it is still back up against a wall, just 2 feet from a corner?

Does anyone know if I will hear a difference in the 675 in comparison to the Quake. The quake is the only sub I have ever owned and I am highly impressed with it so miss its presence now its moved :rolleyes:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    The b&w will easily outperform the quake if its a good price buy it,
    I have owned the asw675 so have some idea of what it can do.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

3. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Gonzo is right - The Quake has nothing on the B&W.

4. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi i had a rel quake changed to b@w cdmnt sub it absolutley destroys quake as will asw 675

5. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Got the ASW675 installed now and WOW !!! Never knew it would be that different. I haven't played with its settings or direction of the cone (I cannot change the location) and yet it shakes the front room - even the ceiling vibrates.... :clap:

To save me some time, does anyone have a suggestion as to the likely best direction to fire the cone at. The sub sits next to me along with the rear left speaker and at the moment the cone is facing the same way as I am towards the screen. Would it be better facing the corner or the back wall (or heaven forbid, facing my chair)?

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I found it sounded its best firing out into my room with nothing in front of it,Best thing you can do is try different positions then pick the one that sounds best to you.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)