Rel Quake sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by LearningCurve, Aug 17, 2004.

1. LearningCurve

LearningCurve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm quite new to this forum but been browsing it for quite a while now. Looking for some advice and hints on the best speaker setup and subs to get for the money.

I'm currently looking at B&W DM 600 fronts and rear, LCR60 (centre) and REL Quake for the sub. Choices really were narrowed down for space and quality and the best I can get for the budget (I hope) ;) .

My question is, does anyone have a similar or something similar to this setup? And your thoughts? :lease: What's it like on movies?

I have a YAMAHA RXV640 (hopefuly enough) to run these babies :D

I'm going to be demo-ing these guys this weekend and hopefully will make a decision then.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    LearningCurve :D

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd seriously consider the BK XLS200 sub and the Mordaunt Short 309 sub. If you do a search you'll find plenty of information on them including a direct comparison that a few of us did!

Otherwise I'm not familiar with your choice of equipment but the magazines seem to like it :)

3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,007
    Naaaaaaaaah....

go with a Rel Quake!
    Unbelieveable grunt from such a tiny sub.
    Works well with movies and music.

4. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not completely familiar with that setup but have a set of 5 B&W VM1's with a Rel Quake and am more than pleased with them and they weren't too expensive (£125 each but got a bit of a deal so a bit less than that. I think I got the Rel for about £300ish). The B&W's are fixed on the walls with the supplied brackets and are very discrete - even my wife was happy with them!

I wasn't too happy when I originally bought it all as the sub didn't seem to be performing very well, but recently got a curved sofa and put the Rel behind that (in the corner) and 'Oh my god!' what a difference. I can't believe how good it sounds - 100 times better than when it was standing in a corner 'out in the open'...It really pays to move it around and experiment.

Hope this helps,
    Dave.