1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake Setup Help Please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mark123, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hopefully someone out there can help me setup my Quake.

I have an REL Quake, B&W 603's fronts and B&W LCR600 centre and Kef Eggs at the rear. Amp is a Pioneer 812.

My question is how do I set it all up correctly??

I have the sub connected with the low level cable, the front and centre speakers set to large and the rears set to small. The crossover on the amp is set at 100hz. The mode select on the quake is set to 2. Am I getting the best out of my system?

Also when just using the low level input does this mean that the rolloff control has no effect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mode 2 means that the crossover in the sub is ignored with all of the bass management carried out by the amp. 100hz crossover is a bit on the high side for such big floorstanders and I would set the amp's crossover lower if possible.

The THX recommended crossover is 80Hz but I would start listening tests even lower than that if possible.

The sub "rolloff" can be used with the low level input but by selecting mode 2 you have switched it off (correctly)

3. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for that.

But unfortunetly my amp will not let me select a crossover lower than 100 (only options for 100, 150 & 200).

Would it give me any benfit to use the highlevel connection as well?

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    i'm not familiar with your amp, but normally, when you select 'large' for speakers, no crossover is used for bass/LFE. that setting is only usually applicable for speakers using the 'small' setting. In your case, your quake should be set correctly, but you might want to try setting LFE to sub+mains (or equivalent), and check that mode 2 is correct and in phase with your main speakers. it may make little to no difference in your case, but its always good practice to have your sub and mains firing in phase. (the only time where it would make a huge difference is if you do use LFE+mains together - this is also a valid thing to do, but depends on your room acoustics whether its right or wrong)

5. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Chris,
    Whats the difference between the quake I and II? I was thinking of getting for my pc for listenign to mp3's and divx's