1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Quake (Q108e MK II) setup with B&W Nautilus 805

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by esquire415, Apr 20, 2005.

1. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't find a US message board geared specifically for REL sub owners so I'm posting my question here.

I currently use the equivalent US model of UK's Quake, the Q108 (only avaialble in silver and black). They are certain differences in the controls. It could be just the labeling but the control functions are the same. I would just like to confirm them. Below are the controls for the Quake:

[​IMG]

1. UK DEPTH/SLAM CONTOUR switch is ~ to the US 0/180 PHASE switch
    2. UK ROLLOFF is ~ to the US CROSS OVER control
    3. UK MODE is ~ to the US IN/OUT XOVER?????
    4. HI LEVEL (same for both UK & US)
    5. LO LEVEL (same for both UK & US)

The third item is where I'm confused because UK's MODE control has 4 selections whereas US's IN/OUT XOVER control only has two (IN or OUT). Can someone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Anyone has a similar setup as mine? REL with B&W and and Marantz SR-19THX Select receiver.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The depth / slam switch isn't a phase control but changes the contour for either maximum output or maximum depth.

The mode control either sets the sub to use it's internal crossover or switches it out so that only the crossover in the amp is used. That covers two of the switch positions with the other two performing the same functions but with reversed phase.

If the US version only has a two position mode switch I wonder whether there is a seperate switch for phase.

Rolloff and crossover are the same

3. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian. Ok this is what I read:

1. CONTOUR has no US version equivalent
    2. ROLLOFF is same as CROSS OVER
    3. MODE switch has been replaced with two separate controls and is therefore a combinationof the 0/180 PHASE switch (only 2 positions for US which affects both hi and lo level inputs unlike the UK version which you can set crossover to bypass or engage for lo level input) and the LFE XOVER control which switches the CROSS OVER in or out and affects LFE input only (always active for HI LEVEL input). IN means crossover is engaged, OUT means crossover is bypassed.

Don't know why they have to do this for the US version. It got me confused at first but I re-searched the manual and your post helped too. I'm also curious as to why REL omitted the DEPTH/SLAM switch for the US version. It seems that this is an extra feature that can be useful for some. I just question its usefulness when you already have a ROLLOFF control switch. I guess i'm not really sure as to what 'contour' means and how it would affect the sub. And since I don't have a UK version, then I'll never experience the effects.