1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake or Velodyne VX10

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Johnboy9876, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Johnboy9876

Johnboy9876

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Can anyone help?
    In your opinion what would be the best Sub from these two to go with my current set-up.

I have been offered both, but I'm confused.

I live in first floor maisonette, so I don't know which will give me the best performance without upsetting my elderly neighbour too much!

My set up is B&W 602s3's(front) LCR600 (Centre) Mission 77ds (rears). Marantz sr5200, arcam cd72t, arcam a75. Pioneer DV-535:

confused:

Thanks

John

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    You'll need a much better sub than either of those to keep up with the LCR600 and the 602s. Try the REL Q201 or the MJ Reference 1.

3. Johnboy9876

Johnboy9876

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was afraid that somebody might say that.

any idea what sort of budget I would be lloking at for either of these?

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Compared a VX10 with a Q201/Q200 have you?

I can't say I have but I did own a Q200 for a fair while and it wasn't particularly impressive with music.

Anyway, when you say that the Quake and VX10 won't be able to "keep up" with the LCR600/602's, what exactly do you mean? Is it because you consider these subs to be blighted by high distortion and, if so, how much better us the Q201 in this respect?

On top of this - why would you be recommeding a pricey (£700 ish) REL Q201 when the guy could pick up an equal (if not better) performing BK Electronics BK XLS 200 for £280?

Matt.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Yes I have compared the two.

I suggested getting a better subwoofer because the B&W LCR600 and the 602s are quite substantial speakers and a lesser subwoofer like the Quake or the VX10 would reach its limits well before either of the B&Ws ran out of steam. The REL Q201 is a very impressive subwoofer considering its size but as you say not the most musical. There was no mention of the subwoofer being required for music but nonetheless if this was a requirement you will have noticed I have also reccomended the MJ Acoustics Reference 1 which is very good for music.

Why not? I have a lot of experience with the REL and MJ subwoofers and have found them to be better than most but not all I've heard from other manufacturers. I havent listened to any of the BK models but then I haven't come across any in the shops to demo. I like most people would like to listen to a product before purchasing.

6. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have that exact same speaker setup......! I had to sell the 602's as i'm moving to a house with a smaller lounge. I'm going with the Quad11L's instead, but i am considering the quake and the MJA ref100 also.

I guess it would depend on what you want the sub for, music or AV? I've listened to the quake (which is slated on here) and it made a good deal of difference. It added not only bottom end weight but a more 'body' to any tracks i listened to.

The Q series is very much an AV sub and if you're going to spend that sort of cash i'd have a look at the ST series instead. The 602's are big on bass anyway, so the size of your room is another factor.

The best thing is to decide on a budget and listen to a few. most places will let you take the sub home to trial it in the environment it's going to be used in.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wasn't particularly impressed with the Quake when I heard it and the Velodyne VX-10 is discontinued.

What Hifi have tested the Mordaunt Short MS309 and gave it every superlative known to man concluding that it was the first sub priced at under £250 that they could recommend and it would have received 5 stars even if it had been priced at £300

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Ian, I know your much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to sub's, but if where going to be quoting What Hi-Fi they also gave the Quake a 5 star rating in Oct 02. What Hi-Fi quote: "Rel's pocket rocket merits instant inclusion on any subwoofer audition list." Second quote "produces prodigious bass for it's size,especially in the stiffer balanced-veneered cherry". And the fact I have one for sale in the classified has nothing to do with it.:D

9. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well having just bought a BK XLS200 I can recommend it whole heartedly, it looks like it should cost £500 at least, integrates perfectly and is good for music - goes very low as well!!