1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake or MJ reference 100

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pwood, Dec 6, 2003.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Can't get to hear them both and was hoping you guys could give me your opinions. Using Ruark Talisman11 main speakers with a Denon 3802. Musical ability is the most important thing to me as i intend using the High level/low level inputs together.
    If anyone has heard both together then which is the tighter sounding.
    Thanks in advance

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Forgot to add this as well. Has anyone tried different types of cable with the neutrik connector and noticed any improvements.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Traditionally REL are musical subs but have not heard both so cant really comment more.

4. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend has a Pioneer 2011 Amp driving the Kef Q7 speaker package (without the sub). I was VERY impressed with the sound quality and the bass that the main front speakers where giving. Last week he had a Rel Quake (wood cherry version) installed + set up by the engineer from the shop.
    Watching a movie the new sub really helped with explosions etc. but with music it made it sound horrible. It is my opinion that decent fronts should give adequate bass for music (set to 'LARGE') and that for movies a sub is good for that big rumble effect.

I have a huge 15" driver sub that shakes the house if required. I don't use it while listening to music (my Mission 773s have good enough bass output for that).

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm... I think I'd take the Ref 100 over the Q150E, for what it's worth. Haven't heard the Quake though.

MuFu.

6. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    go take a listen to a quake, you will be surprised what it can do for its size! i auditioned it against a KEF sub (cant remember which) - the difference was clear. the REL sounded like a smaller version of its bigger brothers, authoritative, subtle and seamless yet deep and powerful - you will like it if music is your priority. the KEF sounded like a wooden box. cant comment on the MJ, sorry.

7. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    hehe just shows this is personal preferance really, I thought the quake was kinda poor...seemed to struggle to keep up with the likes of Fellowship of the Rings intro (real demo material IMHO). Certainly didnt come across as being musical to me either. Not heard the Ref 100, but I bought a Ref 1 and its certainly bringing a smile to my face.
    As I say its a personal thing
    Spooks

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Hey how's your Ref 1 coming along? I'm enjoying mine a lot, maybe get a second one.

9. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yeh going through my colection one by one to find out what I have been missing.
    Loving it so far.....
    Another Ref 1, now thats just greed LOL
    Spooks

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Did you read the Home Cinema Choice review of the MJ Ref 1? I think they said at the end the only way to upgrade from one of them was to buy two. Mmmmmmmm two subs. :laugh: Must go and check what our trade price is for them.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the MJA Ref 100 & have nothing but praise for it. I tried the Quake & I would not advocate that you dismiss it from your thoughts - it is a capable performer. When push came to shove money talked loud and clear - the Ref 100 was considerably cheaper than the quake and at least it's equal in performance terms (IMHO) - no contest really.

12. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pwood

I'm running a pair of MJ 100's with a pair of Mission 783's, 78c x 4 M7DS.

The 78's on their own do kick out a fair amount of bass, but having wired both Ref100's to the LFE channel the extra detail they add is well worth the cost.

I have previously used a single Mordaunt Short 20 SW and as expected the extra clout and detail the MJ's bring to the party justifies every penny they cost and especially so when you consider that I got them at the Manchester HIFI show the other month for £558 for the pair.

I have also just got two neutrik connectors to take advantage of the hi-level inputs. The idea being to have both on the LFE channel and one via neutrik on the centre channel and one via neutrik from one of the 753's to get the best out of them whether in movie or music mode.

Can’t comment on the REL’s.

Regards,

Chris L

13. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I went to Sevenoaks Glasgow yesterday and compared the REL Quake against the more expensive REL Q150II and was impressed with the small Quake. There was a extra degree of presense about the 150E but couldn't justify the extra expense and also thought the Quake was a tad tighter sounding. I gave up trying to get a listen to the MJ ref100.
    Plugged it in last night using the low level input and.......even better than I had hoped. The timing was impressive and U571 was deep enough for my Semi.
    Today I am going to mess about with the High level Neutrik cable and set it all up.

14. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    REL have two series of subs. The Q series are designed for home cinema rather than music. The S range (strata, storm, etc) are designed for music and are much better controlled than the Q range (at at first hearing, less impressive)