1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Quake "downfiring" question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Based on its positive reviews, I'm hoping to buy a REL Quake subwoofer. Most subwoofers are front-firing, but Quake is downfiring, ie the bass-bin aims towards the floor. Before I consider buying it, I'm wondering if there's any difference in sound quality between front or downwards firing sub-bass? With the downfiring Quake, I wondered if the floor gives some unnecessary and uncontrolled reflection or absorbtion that interferes with the sound quality? Does a carpetted floor (like in the TV room where I'll be using it) absorb some of the bass, which won't be a good thing? Or would a front-firing subwoofer be better, with no wall or floor in the way?

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your statement that most subwoofers are front firing is incorrect. REL remain the most popular subwoofer brand in UK and the majority of their subs are downward firing as are the subs made by MJ Acoustics and SVS

Front or downward firing should make little difference to the sound but many people buy a granite of marble slab cut to size to put under their sub which is said to tighten up the sound considerably.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I believe that downward firing subs use the floor to "load" the room - help re-enforce the bass that is being produced. Its a bit like those small M&K subs that have a slot you have to put up against a wall. I don't necessarily believe that downward firing subs are better, but some rooms may benefit from this kind of bass loading while others will prefer a front firing sub.

To quote REL's manual:

Russell

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Strata IIIs sound much better with spikes, on wood floor... :smashin: