1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Quake and setting one up

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dUnKle, May 21, 2003.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Have just got a Rel Quake sub woofer to use in conjuction with my trusty Rel Q100E sub

Any tips on getting it set up ? What settings should I be looking for and how best should I intergrate it with my existing sub and speakers ( B&W 603s etc )

Thanks in advance

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    further to that - would I be better off running one sub via the neurolink cable and used to boost the stereo front pair and the other via phono cable ? is so which would be best for what

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    anyone ?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If I remember rightly you had enough problems just setting up the one sub. Now you want to integrate your largish front firing Q100 with a small downward firing Quake.

I don't suppose that anyone here has tried to integrate such a combo and would suggest that the answer be "slowly and carefully"

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Quake was gift from the other half and most pleased I am too

Not sure if I should relegate the 100 to backing up the stereo pairs via the neutrolink cable and then have the quake connected via phono OR to split the phono and have them both running off that.

Quake also seems to have different rolloff settings than the q100 its actually marked so what should it be set at for the 603s ?

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I guess you mean the Neutrik Speakon cable Duncan.

I'd be tempeted to just run the Q100e as the LFE sub and the Quake as an addition to the front stereo pair with the Speakon.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try using the Quake to compliment the centre channel, or perhaps the rear channel..

Take the centre speaker cable from the AV amp into the high-level speaker inputs on the Quake, then the high-level outputs from the Quake into the centre.

Or use the low-level pre-outs on the centre channel to the Quake.

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    thanks

like I said it was a nice gift from the other half and an unexpected addition to the rest of my gear

which is the "better" of the two subs ?

could one be used for slam and the other for depth ?

also what about the roll off on the quake ? what should that be set at ?

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Maybe it was a subtle way of telling you she didn't like the look / size of the Q100E ... she was hoping you'd get rid of the big one :)

10. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Very funny :) actually she is rather enthusiastic about the hobby and went and got the quake on her own with nor prompting

Now could just do with tips etc on how to set it up

11. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Well im in the process of setting it up now and I think Ian J was right - certainly should not be trying to do this whilst im on nights and would be better of asleep

Anyway, im ever so slightly confused and perplexed....

[1] Is positioning two subs next to each other feasable and reccomended ?

[2] Should I bother with the speaker ( Neutrik Speakon ) at all ?

[3] Just what should I expect from the Quake ? I have just given it a very quick demo with the beginning of Replacement Killers and was impressed - in seems to go deeper and give more inpact than the Q100E

[4] Im confused regaring the roll off on the quake - the roll off on the Q100 is just marked min or max - on the quake it actually has figures - what should it be set at to work best with B&W603s ( set in either small or large )

[5] Is running one sub using both Neutrik Speakon and phono the connections the same as running two subs, one with Neutrik Speakon and one with phono ?

[6] Due to the size of the quake I have more positioning options - is it ok to have it placed behind one of the front speakers ? would it be ok placed along the back wall an just running from the Neutrik Speakon ( have not got any VERY long phono cables )

[7] Is there a benefit of running two subs ?

[8] The Rel Subs have a slam and a depth mode, in the past i have experimented with this on the Q100 finding that although impact sounds ( such as shotgun blasts and explosions ) sound more meatier in Slam I loose the subtle rumbles and the lower sounds produced by depth - is it feasable to have one sub in slam and one in depth ?

My current train of thought is to have one sub connected via both Neutrik Speakon and phono and the other connected via just phono - one sub would run in SLAM the other in DEPTH - any suggestions on which sub should perform which roll or any other ideas ? or would it be better to have one connected via Neutrik Speakon ( set to either SLAM or DEPTH, im guessing slam here ) whilst the other is configure the opposite - in my mind I see this as being able to obtain the best of both worlds

What do you guys ( the experts ) think

Thanks again in advance

12. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    well todays the day - just done my last night and have the entire day to myslef - so gonna have a go at getting this all running - so if anyone can hekp with the above questiosn id be most grateful