1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Quake and kef KHT2005.2 setup help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stuart5, Aug 17, 2004.

1. stuart5

stuart5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys just joined this forum.Just purchased two kef KHTs last week i was wondering the best way(connections settings etc..) to set my harman kardon AVR4500 and what sort of cross over point to set my quake too.The amp is set to small for the speakers(all including center and rears Boston acoustics) at present the quake is set to position2 with the roll off set to 106hz,and only connected with a hi quality phono cable..the amp is set to 80hz for the fronts...and the volume on the quake is about the 11oclock position...and is situated in a corner..the KHTs are replacing a set of acoustic energy evo3s (it was a space/girlfriend decision) so these will soon be going on ebay for sale..please can anyone lend me a hand...cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It doesn't sound too far out to me as a starting off point. I forget the finer details of RELs but if memory serves me correctly position 2 means that the crossover in the sub is switched off and only the crossover in the amp is used, which is correct and therefore doesn't matter what the rolloff in the sub is set too.

If you have a variable crossover filter in the amp I would also try it a little higher at 90Hz and 100Hz to see which of the three sound the best.

3. stuart5

stuart5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well ian i think i may have a strange one then...when set to position 2 and using the roll off it does adjust the sound..at what position should the roll of be set at if its not suppose to make a difference when on position 2..and since the frequencies arent marked (just dots with large dots every so often..i just cant get my head around the fact the roll off still works on position 2 even when as you correctly say i by passess the internal cross over...its just starting to annoy me....help am i goig mad

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The above is copied from the REL site where they confirm that position 2 on the mode switch cuts out the internal crossover of the sub so adjusting the crossover control on the sub should make no difference at all if it is only connected with the low level phono lead.

5. stuart5

stuart5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok have been watching titan Ae..the roll off seems to make no difference now but i have had to turn the volume down quite low roughly at 1/4...but seems to be very boomy could it be my room...old style flat with fairly high ceilings..at present rel is in a corner at the front left of of my viewing area..would moving from a corner help?? also i think the really low frequencys are just resonating my doors in the room cause am not feeling them as i should is this normal or would a resite fix or reduce this...thanks for all your input it is helpful cheers...stuart

PS..how low down the frequency range will my quake actually go no info to be found anywhere that i can see...cheers again

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    One quarter turn on the gain is quite normal on many subs and is about where I have mine set. If it is booming try moving out of the corner slightly. Even moving it around by a few inches can make a difference.

I would guess that the Quake will go down to mid / late twenties with the help of the room

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    My Denon 3802 is also set to 80hz. I use mine with the crossover engaged as I felt it was too obvious when set to bypass expecially when switching between movies and music. As you have just got the sub you will still probably be listening out for it when in fact it should be more subtle than that. I also would advise you get a better interconnect than the thin short effort supplied. I tried the dual connection(Neutrik) with a REL cable split across my main speakers and personally noticed no improvement in fact the cable supplied, introduced the local taxi firms!!