1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q401 vs REL STORM III

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EN, Oct 13, 2004.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone has tryed both sub in HT system?
    Any recomendations?
    I am interested in sub only for Home cinema.
    Thanks

2. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    no, but for purely home cinema, i would buy an m& K - sure you will be more impressed.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have never heard a Q400 but have owned a REL Storm. It was a fine sub, especially if you listen to music as well as home cinema but in the UK it is £900 to £1,000 depending on finish and is probably inferior to the new SVS PB-10 which will cost under half of the price here when deliveries commence in a couple of weeks time.

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,
    I live in Bulgaria, so it is difficult toder SVS.
    If the price is no object what is you opinion for the sub in HT system?
    Compared to other subs, like JMLAb, Tannoy, JAMO, Mission, KEF (these brands I can can buy easily here).

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Storm is probably better than all of the ones that you listed. It is very flexible to setup and will integrate well with any speakers. It is quite a good subwoofer for home cinema but there is distortion present at low levels (20 Hz ) which will present itself as a rumble rather than clear notes.

6. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ian

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I had a Storm 3 for a while, and now have a Q400 (same as Q401). I listened to a few candidates, including KEF, Sonus Faber, B&W and MJ acoustics etc. before buying the Q400. The Q400 is undoubtedly the better sub in terms of depth and power than a Storm 3 or MJ Ref 1 and somewhat better than a B&W 675.
    If it is only HC you are interested in then, of your choices, Q400 is the one for you. However, I don't think a Q400 is worth it's RRP, a point Ian made. I got mine at a discount, about the same price as a B&W 675. If I were to pay full price, then the B&W would have been the winner, for HC.

Russell

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own two Storms it and it is fine sub indeed. There are better subs around, no doubt SVS or Velodyne might perform better but it is all matter of taste and needs too. I also needed down firing sub since my kid pokes everything he can reach :)

9. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, can you tell me the difference in sound (like punch or power) in HT mode of these two RELs Q400 and STORM 3? How big is your room?
    Thanx

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    A Q400 has more guts, more power. Where in some scenes the Storm would distort in an effort to produce high SPL's, the Q400 just gets on with the job. I always feel that there is more power on tap with the Q400, whereas the Storm was always on the cusp of running out of steam. In terms of sound, the Storm is probably the more refined of the two, better able to dissapear. The Q400 is more aggressive without resorting to boom but is more difficult to blend in with existing systems. To give an example, in the Matrix, when Neo resues Morpheus, a gattling gun is used. With the storm, the bass here was present but not really felt. Using the Q400, each bullet just about punches you in the chest.
    Bottom line: The storm isn't as powerful, doesn't go as low, and has less punch than the Q400. The Q400, on the other hand, is a bit too agressive for music.

As a side note, I have had some considerable problems with downward firing subs. I find them very tricky, if not impossible to set up. To further complicate matters, every bass reflex sub I have had has tended to "excite" the room more, leaving me with lumpy bass. It took me nearly three weeks to get the Storm3 right, and about 2 days for the Q400. I think this is why I prefer the Q400 and B&W 675 to other designs as they are front firing and sealed units. It is also why I will not buy a sub blind - they are too room sensitive to take a chance on. Always try to get a home demo: it's worth it in the long run.

Russell