1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q400

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dom

Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Q400 and have experienced the difficulties in setting it up. Im still not happy with it, infact my friends £100 Yamaha sub sounds deeper and punchier. I have rigged it up through the normal input not the +12 input. Would this be part of the problem or is it the fact that my sony 940 is crap compared to my fiends Yam DSPax1.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the Q400, have had it for a year now. I have a Denon AVR3300 and the sound is excellent.
    When i listen to music i use the direct mode on the amp and the crossover at the rel set at 45hz, that sounds great with my B&W 604 s2 main speakers.
    I use the +12db input, i have tried both and can't find any difference in sound.
    To surround i set all speakers to small and the REL to bypass the crossover, letting the Denon do the bass management. The level control i set to about half and -8db on the Denon. I used a Radioshack spl meter to set it up at reference level, i recommend you do the same.
    Hope this was of any help, and don't hesitate to ask more.

By the way do you use the spikes or plastic feet. I use some super spikes that doesnt kill my hardwood floor.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,202
    don't you get a lot of "reflections" using a hardwood floor??

Or are you using a lot of rugs and carpets on top?

4. Dom

Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I shall try setting the crossover to 45hz. using the +12 input. What mode are you using?
    Do I have to switch modes when listening to music then once again for movies?
    How do you bypass the REL crossover? is it by using the mode switch?

The Hi level control is for music right? The low level for movies?

What level are you using for listening to music?

I sue the plastic feet, although could use the spikes as its on carpet.

Sorry I dont know what a spl meter is or how to set it up at reference level. Please help, I ve had the sub for month now and it aint right.

5. sam10

sam10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have one of these and it can take a little adjustment to get it right. For a time I used it on my Sony 940 and the sound was good but as I have to place the sub in a tight corner it could be too much at times. But if you keep on with it I am sure you will get it right.

I have it plugged in via the high level and the low level, the low level being in the +12 or is it 10, I can't remember. The mode switch is set to 2 and so they both play at the same time.

I found when playing for example (the fast and the furious) that it sounded awesome until one part of the film that had loads more bass and it sounded too much, so needed turning down. Maybe because of the corner it's in but I need it turned way down. I have to say though that the overall impression is great. I feel that if I had room to bring it out of the corner I could give it more volume.

I have recently purchased a Yamaha DSP-AX1 and it definately is better. The sub will now take more before it sounds too much so I can have a very deep base. I would recommend the upgrade to anyone.

If you have your Sony set up ok you should be enjoying some quality sounds. One day though i would like to buy something that throws me out of my seat. Mind you it makes your trousers flap (or is that something else).

6. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again.
    Haven't notised any problems with the hardwood floor, but i have this setup in my bedroom, still live with my parents, so i have a bed and a sofa that i guess makes things a bit better. But hardwood wouldn't be my choice.
    I use mode 1 to music and mode 2 to movies. Mode 1 uses the REl crossover mode 2 bypasss the crossover from the low level input, but not the highlevel. So you can use both high and low level at the same time. If you do this you wouldn't have to change the mode, you can use mode 2 and set the sub to off in direct mode and on in surround on the amp, don't know if your sony can do this though.
    The spikes i'm using can be seen here: www.soundcare.no
    But if you have a carpet i would use the spikes that came with the sub.
    Go to the articles section on HCC, search for subwoofers in the FAQ search, you'll get a link to a article called: how do i connect and configure my subwoofer.
    Search for spl meter you will get some information on that to.
    Hope this makes things better, good luck.

7. Dom

Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Magking,

I shall set it up as you suggest this evening. Thanks for the advice and links. Very helpfull buddy.

I'll let you know how I got on.

8. Dom

Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the spikes instead of the plastic feet. What a difference! Set it to mode 2 using the +12 bd input together with the highlevel.
    Adjusted the amp settings and movies now sound like they should.

Cheers.

9. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Happy to hear that.
    Because it's a great sub, if i had the money i would by one more.
    One thing i didn't mention last time was the cable. i didn't get one with mine for some reason so i bought a monster sub cable to 100£, it might make a differnce.