1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q400 expirences

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by IVOLIC, Aug 28, 2005.

1. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone have this particular sub?? I would like to know if you are statisfied with it in HT use.

I am currently using the KEF sub that came with the 2005 eggs. I definitely feel that I am missing out in the "low end" department and want to upgrade. I live in Croatia and demo-ing things here is like finding water in the desert!! :thumbsdow So any info would be great! :smashin:

I have the opportunity to purchase this sub second hand, hence the post. :D

Thanks

Oh yeah, ROOM is 4.2 by 5.5 meters

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Q400 is a damn fine sub that will go under 20hz (in room) without much trouble. Musically, it isn't the best, but if you use the Neutrik connection, integration is easy, and seperate vollume controls means that music and AV "preferences" can be tailored.

Russell

3. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply Russell. I really do not plan on using it for music so that is not a problem.
    I just want something to knock the socks off me when watching movies. :rotfl:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm not convinced that the REL will go below 20Hz except at somewhat reduced levels relative to 50Hz or above,but it is ok on most material from the speed and general performance points of view.

It will definitely outperform the sub that came packaged with your Eggs,but a number of the claims about it's LF extension are a little optimistic.

If you can get it used at a decent price,then it may well represent good value,especially if your other choices are limited,and it is well made and robust.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What made you think the Q400 is not capable of a flat in room response to 20Hz?

I have copied below some measurements that I posted a while back when I was measuring what peaks and dips I had when I had a Q400. The response is flat to ~17Hz (ignoring dips at 42 hz and peaks at 27Hz). I didn't have any frequencies lower than this, but suffice to say, the Q400 is a damn fine sub, just a little too vague for music.

REL Q400

Hz db
    17-----------92
    19-----------92.5
    21-----------93
    24---------- 98
    27-----------98
    30-----------95
    34-----------90.5
    38-----------86
    42-----------82
    47-----------95
    53-----------94.5
    60-----------95.5
    67-----------90.5
    75-----------93.5

6. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I purchased a Q400 about 4-5 years ago from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision it was an excellent sub for movies and sounded pretty good with music too.

If you can buy a good second hand Q400 then do it - you wont be dissapointed, dependant on second hand £price.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sorry...I wasn't really being awfully clear when I said that!....what I should perhaps have said was that it's maximum output is reduced compared to some subs of a similar price.

I cannot however disagree with your data,which do show a healthy output at those frequencies.

I would also agree with what you said about it being a bit vague for music use....my previous sub was a Q201,and apart from it's obvious lack of extension,it's vagueness was another factor that made me sell it.

My comments were based on trying a Q400 as well as subs from B&W,M&K and a few others before settling on an SVS which finally got down to the sort of frequencies and volumes that my last set of speakers were capable of,but without the room matching problems.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Q201/Q200 was a remarkably poor sub, and a trend that looks set to continue if the Q150 and the risable Quake is anything to go by. The Q400 is a very decent effort, but way overproced at RRP, by about 1/3. I would agree that something like the M&K 125 sub (which I love after hearing is at a local Seven Oaks) or B&W 750 would give the Q400 a pasting. However at 2nd hand or ex display, these subs become much more agreeable, especially given the higher than normal fit and finish.

Russell

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A shame,as it certainly didnt grow on me with time,having sounded OK over a weekend's demo.

As to the other RELs you mentioned,I agree,and with so many other brands around,especially now that the dollar is relatively weak,it makes buying new much more difficult.

The B&W I tried did give both the RELs,and obviously the 201 in particular,a pasting,but the SVS(bought with some trepidation on recommendations only)put all of them to shame.

As used/ex-dem buys,the RELs do become a much better proposition,and hold their values remarkably well.