1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q201E vs B&W ASW-750

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by smithers, May 8, 2005.

1. smithers

smithers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm shopping for a new sub I've been hearing good things about REL but I without having heard one I am a bit in the dark.

I'm from Canada and unfortunately for us north american's the only available REL's are listed here http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/index.htm.

The only sub listed on the link above that is in the same price bracket I had in mind $2000-2500 CDN (or ~37 pounds :p) is the Q201E, but I don't see how the included 250 watt amp and 10" driver could ever compare in SPL to the 12" driver and 1000watt amplifier found on the B&W.

I should stress that the musicality of the sub I choose is a little more important I also want it to kick me in the pants whenever I pop in a DVD.

What do you guys think?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't get too hung up on paper specs as the quality of the components used are much more important than the size.

There is more to a subwoofer than sheer SPL as it is pointless having a subwoofer that can reproduce low bass at loud levels if all you are listening to is distortion due to poor quality components

The REL Q200 isn't a bad sub and should certainly be considered if music is a priority as not all can match the nimbleness of a REL on complex bass notes. I haven't heard the B&W offering but it certainly has a few fans on this forum.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The simple answer is it can't. I used to own a Q200/Q201 and have heard the B&W750 a few times. Let me say that the B&W750 is so much better than a Q200 it doesn't bear thinking about. In fact it's a bare faced cheek that the Q200 is even in the same price bracket of the 750. The Q400 is a good sub, and much better than the Q200, but I would still rate a 750 over all of them. In fact, the only REL sub that I can think of that comes close (that I have heard) is a Storm V. Even then it was some time between auditions of 750 and Storm V and I wouldn't be surprised if the B&W won out on all round performance. Saying that it doesn't look like the lower range ST subs are available over there and, even if they were, the Storm V would probably be much more expensive.

Go listen to the B&W, you won't be dissapointed.

Russell

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a REL strata,never got on with it,tuneless,just didn't do anything for me,found a older B&W800 sub,blew RELs away,not the exact answer toyour question,but i'd go for the B&W.

5. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Smithers have a look at the New Paradigm Servo 15

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RModels/Servo/ServoSeries.html

I'm not sure how much the New Servo 15 goes for in Canada, but try to get demo as the old servo 15 is a great sub and the new model seems to have some nice upgrades 1200 watts RMS‡ (20–150 Hz @ <0.1% THD),
    4500 watts Peak‡‡ ;)

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267

Don't you just WISH Richer Sounds would start importing these new ones and selling them for the £399 of the old one?! :lease:

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've owned a Q201e prior to my current SVS,and tried out a number of subs when changing from the REL,including the B&W.

Frankly,I'd have to agree with russraff in saying that there isnt any real comparison between them,although the REL is pretty decent on music.
    In terms of pretty much every value however,the B&W is,to my ears anyway,a much better sub,but you can also see which one actually made it to my living room.

8. smithers

smithers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I plan on demoing that B&W next week, I just wanted to hear some opinions regarding the REL I don't think they are sold anywhere nearby anyway.

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    In terms of pretty much every value however,the B&W is,to my ears anyway,a much better sub,but you can also see which one actually made it to my living room.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alex
    When i couldnt get the svs pb12-ultra-2 to work in my room i did think about getting the asw750 instead of importing another sub, seems i made the right decision getting the pc-ultra.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)