1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Q200E

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevegreen, Aug 10, 2003.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have an opportunity to get my hands on one of these subs in the not too distant future. I am currently using a MIssion 70ASE as part of the Mission Cinema 6 pack, a Yamaha amp and a Sony DVD player.

Will the Rel integrate well with my current set up?

Will it work well with both movies and music?

What differences will i notice?

Cheers :)

2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I have the Mission 773e's 77ds surrounds and 77c1 centre (basically the Mission Cinema 7 pack) and a REL q201e. The Missions are somewhat lacking the the bass department although clarity is very good. The REL integrates nicely with them (at least to my ears!). At first I was underwhelmed by the SW, but after reading some I discovered that a SW shouldn't draw attention to itself but if you switch it off you will immediately notice the lack of bass.

The bass is quite tight and refined (good for music) so don't expect that boomy sound you experience at the local cineplex!

If it's a brand new sub, you'll need to run it in for a while (about a week should do it) This just means don't crank it up until it's worn in! :)

Best bet is to have a listen to some subs and then decide. B&W's are recommended on this forum among others. I suggest you check out the threads and shortlist the ones you'd like to demo.
    No amount of advice can compare to listening with your own ears!

hth,
    Owen

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much would you be paying for it? I chose a REL storm in preference to the q200...... and more recent subs from other manufacturers are generally agreed to be much better than my storm, yet cost the same or less...... what im trying to say is that the q200 isnt the best sub for the money, you would need to be getting a good deal in order that it would be competitive.

Ad

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Well as they retail at about £650 I would say that I am getting a good deal for what i've been offered it for ;)

Thanks for the replies folks.

Does that mean that the sub underperfroms in the movie enviornment?

How would it compare to say, a Velodyne VX10 and a Velodyne CHT10. Two subwoofers of differing perfomance, but where would the Rel Q200e sit in comaparison to them both?

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    for the same price of the rel q200 i would say that the m&k k9 is a better buy, or even the mj acoustics pro 100 again at the same price

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was typing a reply, but forums went down while i was at it :mad:

anyhow, cant compare to the velos you mention, but it wont even approach a cht15 or a servo 15......

Ad

7. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It really depends on the movie. for example the pod race in Star Wars Ep.1, the deep bass near the beginning of Event Horizon and Terminator 2 action scenes all have great bass sound, however I notice the LFE shows up on ther AV AMP display yet the bass is very low and I don't always hear/feel it so it could be underpowered for home cinema. According to the manual it has been designed to the AC-3 (Dolby Digital) specs but REL do recommend using 2 for best effect.

As buns said there are newer subs which out perform the REL at the same price point.

Can you audition it before you decide whether to buy?

OwenW

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've sold my 200E.

With in it's limits it sounds good but low bass 30hz and under tends to throw it off course and I have managed to push it to distortion. I would say it's better for filling in under small stand mounts and satellite speakers with music or using LFE only. I wouldn't run it in a medium to big room with all speakers on small.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The REL is ideal for what you want as it is compact and powerful enough for your needs. It won't plumb the depths like an SVS but there again it is nowhere near the size.

It's new price is twice or three times that of the brand new Velodynes that you mentioned so I leave it you to draw your own conclusions about whether it is better or not.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine the improvements in the Q200 over the Q150 are fairly noticeable. If not, then take a look and listen to the Velodyne CHT-10 as it makes the Q150's performance look very, very suspect indeed.

Whilst I agree with Ian's view that, in theory, a product at 3 times the price of another should perform better, that's most definitely not always the case with speakers and subwoofers.

Many more factors go in to making up the end user price than the quality of the product itself - ie, when you buy Rel, you're also paying for all those double page, full colour adverts you'll have noticed in every magazine you buy.

11. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    IMHO, the BK Electronics XLS-200 is a better sub for less than half the price. Better in terms of extension, for sure (I agree with avanzato re the Q200E's sub-30Hz performance - the XLS subs are excellent for their size in this respect). It's hard to comment regarding overall output without hearing them side-by-side.

The finish on the BK sub looks nicer. :D

MuFu.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If it's any help, there is a REL Q200 ex dem for sale here at £549

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As i will be getting it substantially cheaper than the £549 ex dem and a new BK Electronics sub I am of the mind that it is worth getting. Reading reviews and some other comments I am looking forward to seeing a big improvement in performance over my Mission which is half the power of the Rel :)