Rel Q200 & Q150mkII, which is best (+ cheapest prices)?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SilverPenguin7, Jun 22, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am shortly moving soon and have decided my mk1 Storm is just a little too big for the slightly smaller living room my gear will soon be living in. I have decided to get something a little smaller in physical size and reading the reviews for the Q series have decided the 200 or 150mkII could be what I'm after. I ideally want to spend no more than £500 but if the Q200 is significantly better than the 150 I might think about spending that little bit more.

So two questions:

1) Is it worth spending that little bit more or will the Q150 be enough for a room measuring apprx 11 x 14? (remember I'm used to my Storm but I do admit that was slightly overkil!!)

2) Can anyone suggest any cheap places to buy from. So far the Q150 is £495 and the Q200 is £650, is that about right?

Any advice appreciated :)

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in theory REL products are price held you should always pay retail price if the unit is A1 and is supplied with manufacturers guarantee!
    The prices you quote are near enough dead on the retail price so I would presume you'll find the price the same everywhere so try your local rel dealer.
    www.Rel.net

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Mattie F :thumbsup:

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi
    I wouldnt buy either of the rels as the b&w asw675 is a much better sub than the q150 and 200e and looks really nice in sorrento oak finish.I have owned both the relq150 and the b&w asw675.
    You should be able to pick a asw675 up for around £580 new.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's what Mattie F said on the DVD Forums where this question first appeared :D

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :oops:
    Gonzo.

7. Barry Fisher

Barry Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - if you want a small sub the BK XLS200 has had kind words said about it on this forum. This is a similar size to the Q200. I have seen comments to suggest it is as good. The MS subs have also received good comments. If you were to buy either of these you could easily save half your budget. Good luck.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yup, and I have been doing some reading up on it and it does look rather lovely :rotfl:

However, as I also mentioned there I have heard back from REL regarding the hum my Storm produces and they have informed me the supplied lead I have always used is not screened and this is why I am getting the hum when using the low level input. They suggested a new screened cable and the hum will be gone! So I'm gonna give that a go first then decide if I want to downsize slightly. If I can cure the hum I might stick with the Storm for a while longer as it is a lovely speaker, just that hum had me at breaking point! lol

9. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would stick to what you have and not downsize. You can always lower the gain if you like. Save your money and use what you have as I think you will never get the satisfaction with the Q series having used the Storm. If in future you need to upgrade you will again be spending money.

The decision is YOURS and YOURS alone. I urge you to sincerely give it a thought!