1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q150E settings?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mustang, Feb 16, 2002.

1. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone recommend which Mode (1 to 4) is best to use for this sub?

At the moment I have it on 1, connected through the low level output, rollover is set at 59hz and I have it set to Depth listening to music and Slam when watching movies.

On my amp (Denon 2801) the speakers are set to SMALL and I just change the LFE setting if there's not enough or too much bass. The REL manual isn't that great and doesn't explain what each of the Modes do.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I just wondered if I was missing out on something :confused:

Cheers!

mustang.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Mode 1 is fine to start with. Chances are that reversing the phase produces little noticable difference.
    There is an entry in the FAQ which covers sub setup. But if you're using the phono low level input and your speakers to small (which is the best place to start), then the rolloff should be turned as far clockwise as possible.
    Also you should use depth mode all the time. Never use slam mode. Not even at parties like REL suggest. IMO.
    Slam mode is there to help sell the subwoofers to people who don't know what they should want from a subwoofer. Use the slam mode and you get loads of thumpy mid-bass. It interferes with the bass from your main speakers and there's no real depth.

3. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, thanks alot Spectre :)

I'll take a look at the FAQ aswell.

Cheers!

mustang.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mustang -
    can you advise where you bought this from and how much, i am looking for the same sub.
    TIA

spectre -
    "Never use slam mode" - funny you should say that i auditioned it the other day and the guy in the shop set it to slam mode and said thats the best mode and that is what you should always have it on!! - good old salesmen!!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You should have really confused him and asked him "why"

6. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the REL Q150E from HiFiBitZ , they were the cheapest I could find and I have had no problems with them before. :)

CYA!

mustang.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    REL would probably like to hear about that incompetant dealer.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    If you have the speakers set to SMALL, use either mode 2 or 4 on the REL. This bypasses the subs internal crossover as the amp will be controlling the cutoff frequency (80hz). You can then adjust the bass level via the Channel Level mode (SW).