1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q150E Mk II problems

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by banyantree, Sep 15, 2004.

1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well at last I have finally invested in a subwoofer : REL Q150E MkII however I have some problems setting it up.

I listen to music through my ROTEL CD02 and movies and SACD through a Pioneer 969avi. The CD is connected with a digital coaxial and the Pioneer with the i link.
    The REL has 2 connections. Low level (for movies lfe) and high level (music).

The dealer whom i bought the Pioneer amp from says the i need only connect the low level since the amp callibrates the sub for me. He says I do not need to use the active sub. The sound from the sub during movies is excellent. However when i listen to music on my ROTEL, I cannot hear the bass for music from the sub. The manual tells me to wire up the high level to the main speaker terminals (these are bare wire) since the amp uses both a high level and a low level switch.
    I have not done this yet due to conflicting reports from various dealers.

1) How do you correctly attach the bare wires to the speaker posts? I'm using banana plugs for my Mission speakers?
    2) Are there any easier ways to set up the sub. The manual reads like some russian dictionary!
    3) Do i need to turn off the sub from the mains when i am not using it to save power since there is no on/off switch or does the amp do that for me?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. My other speakers are the Mission Cinema 7's.

cheers,

banyantree

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To attach the wires to the speaker terminals you can either wrap each wire around the relative terminal or you can try and include each wire in the banana plug along with the speaker wire, if it fits in.

I use low level only on my sub for SACD. Don't forget that there is no bass management taking place within the amplifier for SACD or DVDA and that the speakers all have to be balanced using the SACD player's own test tones etc.

3. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the advice. cheers.
    Have you got your main speaker settings at LARGE or SMALL?
    REL manual says they should be set at LARGE while the PIONEER sets the speakers to SMALL if there is a sub present!

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Banyantree, this is the great dilemma. REL advocate the use of high-level connections if not exclusively then at least in tandem with the low-level kind. But this assumes you have large front speakers (I'm talking music replay here). I personally don't see the point of a high level connection when your AV amp is not sending anything below 80Hz to your main pair and everything lower to your sub. It's on this issue that REL reveals its pedigree as the manufacturer of true sub-bass designs which are meant to partner full-range hi-fi speakers. Ah well. On my Denon, even in direct mode the amp sends the bass to my REL because I've set front speakers to small (Kef eggs). Integration is actually very good, but punch could definitely be better. Then again, my sub is a pretty old Q50 design - your Q150 MkII is probably streets ahead.

5. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr Pleasant,

Connected the high end to my amp last night and it worked a treat. My main speakers are set to SMALL and are Mission Cinema 7 floor standers.
    Music sounds fantastic now and bass reproduction for movies is jaw dropping.

Not entirely sure what to listen for when setting the phase though. Setting 1 and 3 (0 and 180) sounded better, but shouldn't i be detecting more of a difference?)
    Perhaps i should ask my neighbours!!!!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Many would dispute that as the feeling is that REL took a retrograde step when they dumped the Q50 and Q100 which were manufactured for them by a company that we know quite well here, in favour of a new design that they subsequently manufactured themselves.

Phase is normally best left at zero unless your sub is in a different plane from the main speakers when 180 may sound better.

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ian, that is truly an intriguing comment about the Q50/150 designs. I've been plotting a sub upgrade for some time and the Q150 is top of the list for a demo. I'd be expecting a very obvious improvement despite the fact that it's half the size of the Q50. Now I'm not so sure....

Banyantree, now I wonder if I was too hasty removing my neutrik cable when I switched to low level. I'll replace it when I next have a sort out and see if my music reproduction also improves. As it stands, I get very good really deep bass, but seem to be missing the 'pulsing' punchy sound you get from big speakers. Theoretically, I'd expect the integration to be seamless. Do you have any particular CDs where the Q150 is noticeably providing good, thumping bass? If so, I'd be delighted to know which albums and tracks so I can try them out for myself.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When GaryG came round for a listen to my SVS he brought the CD of Lady Marmalade from Moulin Rouge sung by the four slappers. It has a rather good driving bass line but little else to commend it.

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Damned by faint praise? :blush:

Nimby :D

10. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Better to listen to a tune with a constant repetitive bass line.
    I set the subwoofer listening to MJ's "Billie Jean" But it's loud so make sure there are no young children present!
    The REL's have a SLAM/DEPTH switch. Depth is more subtle and my preference for music. DEPTH will give you that bang you are looking for with louder speakers.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    It only as loud as you make it,if its no good for young children its no good for anybody.Just because its bass it doesn't have to be played at boy racer levels.
    You can actually buy ear plugs for listening to loud music ,go get some.

12. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was referring to Michael's preference for young boys rather than the volume of my subwoofer.
    I am perfectly capable of adjusting my subwoofer to meet my own loudness threshhold thank you very much.

13. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :):) that made me laugh :rotfl:

14. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Haven't got the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but have got History somewhere so I'll stick Billie Jean on later and see what happens. The disk which really brought it home is the old Savage Garden album which has pounding bass when I play it in the car, but only a rather polite 'depth' when played on the hi fi. The REL seems to handle the really deep stuff, but something fundamental is missing. This is what I hope the Q150 will rectify.

Fun, isn't it.

15. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I only compared mine in the shop to the Stampede and the Quake. You should give it a listen in the shop first before you buy i guess.
    Just listened to the new Star Wars DVD and the room really shakes.

GOOD LUCK.

16. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1