1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q150 Replacement

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cartman69, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all, been lurking in the forums for a while and I'd like some help. I'm looking at replacing my knackered old REL Q100 for something abit more substantial. I have a smallish room approx 5m x 3.5m. After reading through the forums I was considering something like the BK XLS200 or maybe a SVS PB-10, any comments on these choices??? Will I notice an increase in performance?? the rest of my speakers are Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 for fronts with matching centre and rears, would i be better getting the matching sub?? Sorry for the long winded question but i thought it better to ask a detailed question for a more precise response. TIA

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I had a REL Q200 sub for a while before changing to an SVS PC-Ultra...no comparison between the 2,as the SVS is much faster,goes deeper by a long way and outperforms the Q200 by a huge margin.

I don't have direct experience of the PB10,but can vouch for the performance of that larger model,as well as it's value for money.

3. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thnx for the reply, the ultra does sound like the dogs dangly bits but is a bit out of my price range, was looking for something in the £500 max price range - any thoughts??

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Then something like the PB-10 or PC+ models,depending on whether you want a box or a cylinder type sub.

I would also look at some of the smaller B&W's,or consider a used larger model if you can find one,but having used/tried RELs up to the Q400,and tried the B&W ASW 750,I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by an SVS.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The PB-10 would be a considerable jump up the subwoofer ladder in terms of output, depth and distortion.

6. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i take it there's no probs (other than customs charges) ordering it from the states. What sort of excess on top of the advertised price, could i expect for vat and customs?? I've read good things about most of the svs range, just a bit wary bout shelling out for one without "feeling the bass" first hand - it's only when you can feel the bass you know your setup is on the right tracks :smashin:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    HMG will nobble you for import duty at 4.5% of the cost of the sub plus shipping and then Vat on the total of the sub, shipping and import duty.

8. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    HMG = robbing b*rds!!! Thnx for the info. IanJ one question tho bout the PB-10, since
    I notice from the classifieds that you had one (briefly) for testing purposes, it has no phono
    outputs - what type of cable is used to connect to my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D2011). Many thanks for the help.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It has no high level connections for connecting to speaker terminals as SVS assumed that most of their customers would be connecting it to an AV amp.

A phono to phono cable will be the way to connect it to your amp and I would suggest that if you don't have such a cable that you have a look at Mark Grant's cables in the Cable Powerbuy forum as his cables are top quality

10. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ahh sorry misread the review, i think my credit card may be getting a workout :) i've a mate who's got one of marks component cables EXCELLENT quality but it's 'kin MASSIVE!!!!! I have a QUNEX SR-SW cable already but if u think mark's cable will be worth it i'll definataly upgrade. Thanx again for all the info.

11. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not buy the Monolith? It is better than the PB10 in performance and looks better. The price is only £400 so you do get a very good sub, and £100 for extra DVD:s :thumbsup:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you heard both or are you guessing ?

13. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard both. Have to admit the PB10 has a bit more noise, but that is the problem. It is noise not sound. I gladly offer 2 dB to go 2 HZ deaper, as I don't need 100 dB. But the bigger difference is in music. The Monolith is faster, and this can be heard with fast deep bass.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinuions and as an ex PB-10 owner my opinion is not only the opposite of yours but it also co-incides with that of Ed Mullen the well respected subwoofer reviewer when he reviewed the PB-10 for the equally well respected Secrets of Home Theater here

Ed used phrases such as the following when evaluating the PB-10 for music reproduction.

As you can see Ed's findings were completely the opposite of your "it just makes a noise" and he summarises the review by saying:-

and

and

15. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

Ian I think you are misquoting here, the guy never said "it just makes a noise" he says "has a bit more noise". If you look at his profile he is from Finland and perhaps he choose a wrong phrase?. I read it as the SVS has a greater SPL as later on in his thread he mentions giving up an extra 2dB for an extra 2Hz.

Just a thought.

Tom

16. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am not saying the PB10 is a bad sub. It is very good. I am just saying the Monolith is is a bit better, and as you said, just my opinion. A friend compared the Monolith to the PCi 20-39 and he thought they were more equal musically than the Monolith and PB10.

17. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    "It is noise not sound"

Even allowing for any doubts regarding MarekFIN's excellent english I think his statement is clear enough. :devil:

The question is whether you trust his judgement, his experience and his knowledge concerning the PB10 relative to the Monolith. :)

Nimby

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In my previous post I don't think that I made it clear that whilst I thought that the SVS PB-10 was an excellent sub and was well worth the money in my opinion, I was not casting any aspersions on the Monolith as I haven't heard one and I have no reason to doubt that it is an excellent sub and also well worth the price.

In any event either would be a significant upgrade from the Q150 which was the original question.

19. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I aggree all opinions are subjective. The original question has been side stepped a bit, but IMO although an XLS200 is better than a Q100E it would not be the jaw dropping difference that either the PB-10 or Monolith would provide

Tom

20. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to be the problem here. :) trust me or not.
    Mayby BK should bring one to Ian for testing? as with this review:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210156
    And as he says in the end: "Unfortunately we didn't get time to listen to any music", and here is where the bigger difference is.

And the spellcheck is wonderful. Wish we had one for the Finnish sites :rolleyes:

21. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think that BK have anything extra to prove to Ian nor anyone else considering their proven heritage. I agree that the scepticism on the board has been a little beyond healthy over recent weeks.

I for one can't wait for their next product - an affordable headphone amp or some accompanying speakers would be cool. :)

22. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    John

How did you know about the headphone amp??

Tom

23. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    YGPM Tom, you might like to edit your post if it's still supposed to be under wraps. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.