1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q150 - Another one or something else?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MarkHudds, Oct 8, 2002.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

A bit of advice please ...

I'm using a Rel Q150 in conjunction with a Monitor Audio Silver Series 7.1 set up (9i,12i, 4xFXi).

With the 9i's having quite a good low frequency response, I've got my cutover set to about 35Hz. I've experimented with the REL in a few positions and different settings, however it just doesn't seem to give me that 'rib-shaking' experience. Don't get me wrong, the REL is a fantastic sub, very tight and controlled.

Question I've got is ... on my quest for more (quality) bass, should I be looking at a second Q150, or get something completely different? If so, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark.
    Asking about the merrits of the Q-150 when the low-end dwellers lurk in the shadows round here, is very brave of you.
    I think i remember you posting somewhere that you might be interested in a Velodyne unit. (CHT-15)
    I think JSW, Jase & Bob will be happy to tell you all about the performance of the sub, whilst i will continue to praise the Velodyne name. If you've crossed over @ 35Hz with your Q-150, then think about the results you'd get from repeating that procedure with the servo controlled CHT-15.
    As i found out a few months back, it is like night & day.....
    Block-rocking, destroying bass.......

Alternatively, their are SVS & Paradigm owners in the shadows too, & will be happy to tell you about their trips into sub-bass land.......

If it's Velodyne........speak to Eric

Adzman

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Adzman,

From what I can gather, from reading all the old threads, is that I should go for Paradigm or Velodyne to get a trip into sub-bass land ...

I may get burnt for this ... but I'll ask anyway ... would 1 CHT15 be better than 2 Q150's? (Room size is 20'x16', Amp is AX10).

I guess I'm too late to get on the £499 Servo 15 train (although I've emailed RS), so it's looking like a 'big dent in the bank balance' Velodyne.

I've left Uncle Eric a couple of PM's, enquiring about the CHT15, although I *could* stretch to the HGS models if I was suitably convinced to justify the price difference vs performance. Any one waiting on an extra buyer for a power buy?

Come on low-end dwellers, give me your words of wisdom ... I have some new foundations to test ;)

4. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see on the web that MJ acoustics have a Reference 1 sub which they say goes down to 15 Hz:cool:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizzard,
    Why bother with that, the MJ 50 goes down to 16htz for only 299 quid :D That Don H aint daft you know :clown: :D

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, did i hear you say the word HGS ??????

I personally haven't heard the Paradigm or SVS subs, so i cannot talk about them with any authority.
    Nic Rhodes and others love their Servo 15's, so that's good enough for Adzman.
    As i own a Velodyne HGS-18, i am a little better off talking about it's capabilities.
    18 inch driver, 1250 watt amp, sealed enclosure, built like a nuclear bomb shelter, servo controlled & beautifully finished off in gloss piano black.
    Before these forums, i didn't even know about servo controlled subs, and thought my REL Q400 was a ticking time-bomb.
    Compare that unit to the HGS-18 is not very wise in terms of sonic performance (as i have found out since).
    The sheer output of the HGS is fantastic, the more you keep winding it up, the louder it goes....and what you get is gnats-chuffingly tight low-end bass. (when i use to push my REL-Q400 to similar limits, the difference in audible sound was startling).
    I have now since learned that the difference is in the distortion.
    The HGS-18 is capable of gut rumbling bass at absurdly high DB's with the control of a Dominatrix!!! (regretting that comparison already!!!)...It is great for music & movies, so dont think the 18 inch driver cannot operate at optimum for both duties.
    I realise that the HGS-18 is the top end of the Velodyne range, i just wanted to give you my impressions of living down in the depths.....
    All the sub guru's advocate 2 sub systems, some advocate the use of 2 lesser subs to 1 quality sub..
    They are technically superior to me, so i cannot agree & disagree.
    However, i am the type of sucker that tries to get near to the best of what's available to me, so talking from Adzman's perspective, i tend to go for 1 quality sub, with the thought of getting a 2nd unit burning away in the back of my head....
    Gives me a good start anyway.....

Over to you now Mark:)

Adzman

7. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    I´d say yes. The old chap has my old Q200 as well as his Paradigm PS1000 and the CHT15 is notably superior in all counts. Much cleaner bass, no nasty boom. I was playing about with it yesterday (music) and winding the volume up to see what it was like at louder levels and its excellent, handled it really well, real thump in the chest stuff but no loss of composure.:)

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd that. :D

With two subs you can sometimes have the problem of frequencies canceling themselves out, (see THX1138 posts) here In this case one decent sub could pay off with better results. ;)

9. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone want to buy a Q150?
    :D :D :D

10. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wot he said

11. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would that still apply to two CHT-15's ????
    ;) ;) ;)

What about 2 CHT-15's verus 1 HGS-15 ????

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can be hard work finding the correct position with two subs, especially if it's not a dedicated room, but saying that THX1138 had a dedicated room (I think) and this was the problem he was against. Positioned correctly will bring great results. You should get a more even bass through out the room with two subs, no flat spots.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Put it this way - Uncle Eric only has one HGS which he says is far far better than his previous two REL Q100