1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q150/200 owners, can you have a good listen?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jon Weaver, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    Could someone with a REL Q150/200/201 try something?

Just take a listen to the sub at CLOSED range (ear right in front of the driver if you can) when its not in use.

Is there a 'hum'? Even a slight one?

If you are feeling more adventurous, if you touch the cone, can you feel it vibrating.

I have a Q150 and have a 'hum' problem.. REL are very helpful and have checked them at their end and can confirm that there is a hum, but I am surprised.. No I am amazed that no-one else has noticed it before.

I am wondering if this is 'batch' related? Maybe the current production run has this 'hum' problem, but others don't.

So, I am intersted to hear if anyone has a completely silent sub.

In comparison, my Yamaha hums, but thats a transformer noise from inside and does not come out of the speaker.

The hum on my Q150 actually comes out of the sub!

Thanks in advance for your help

Jon

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a REL Q50 decide to upgrade the interconnect, so i purchased a 2.5 metre IXOS 1141 MONO INTERCONECT, it was only after i had connected the new cable i noticed a hum comming from the sub, so i put the old one back and the hum went. the old lead was a single phono cable i had from an earlier budget sub must have cost all of 50p. Have also tried a splitter with a pair of phonos, all gold plated, the sub hums with those cables aswell, so i'm sticking with the old lead, can't say i noticed a great deal of improvement with the more expensive leads anyway. Try a cheap cable you never know it may do the trick.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Thanks Bob.. Even though you have no hum now, can you me a favour and listen REALLY close to the sub.

I have a slight hum, and only very slight and the one I looked at in the shop had the same problem.

I have heard from REL who said that they have the hum too, but only when there is no connection to the amp.

I just want a few REL owners to have a REALLY CLOSE listen and feedback whether there is the slightest of hums.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Jon

My Q200 hums as well, BUT you have to stick your head right by it.

Its easier to check by touching the cone and it does vibrate very slightly.

I hasten to add you cant hear the hum if your more than a few inches away from it.

Nothing that really bothers me.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been on my hands and knees, got a funny look from the wife aswell;

The sub is silent, when it is connected by leads and when the leads are removed.

I have heard that power cables from the mains can cause interference, make sure that were you have your cable running that you are not getting any interference from other sources, try running it a different way in the room out in the middle of the floor coz most of us run it against the skirting, over mains cable, this should eliminate this if this being the problem, then try and find another way of running the cable away from the power source. Hope this helps.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Thanks Bob,

If anyone can check their Q150/200, that would also be appreciated

Jon

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Jase,

Is it any worse when in 'SLAM' mode?

In depth mode, I have a slight hum which I can hear close up and also from many feet away when the room is quiet.

but in 'SLAM' mode, the hum is much louder and I can hear (feeli) that all the time.

Jon

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Jon

My Q200 doesnt have a Slam or Depth mode.:(

My Sub is located near a 4 socket power extension so its probably picking up some interference from that, i´ll double check when i get home later.

I´ll let you know.

cheers

9. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q150 E
    Depth mode
    Very low hum, can´t be heard unless the surroundings are dead quiet.

Slam mode
    HUMMMMMMMMM............Now that you have braught this up it´s really annoying.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    This may be completely useless, but I thought it worth a mention. When I was dem-ing a Castle Inversion sub, there was a hum coming from it. I checked everything, including removing the earth cable from the mains lead. Eventualy, I found that the outer ring (the bit that wraps around the phono plug) of my 5m long Ixos phono lead was touching the metal control plate. This is the plate that the controls are mounted on. Once the lead was slightly pulled from the plate, the hum dissapeared.

On another note, I used to own a REL q100 and that seemed to hum all the time there wasn't a signal from the amp (low level). The REL Storm that I have now is utterly silent when not in use.

Hope this helps - Russell

11. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think REL have made a right balls up with this sub.
    They are suppose to be hand built, how the hell did they pass quality control with that hum. REL should have done more homework on the double insulated design. I think thats pretty shoddy workmanship.
    Yes my drive unit vibrates too. Look you only have to touch the rear control panel and you can change the tone of the hum! (your body can act as an earth!)
    I don't believe there is a batch problem - there all made the same
    REL have got to pull their finger out and produce a modified model.
    The thing is, some people might live with it. But of course what people don't realise is that the hum is probably affecting the overall performance of the sub. You can't get a clean sound if its already humming before you start!

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Jon

Unplugging the phono leads and neutrik connector make no difference at all, it still hums.

Mine must be picking up something elsewhere, power cable, plug socket??

As i said it doesnt really bother me as you can hardly hear it.

cheers

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Last night I gave it another go...

I watched a 'dialogue' based film, which had little or no LFE.

Most of the way through, I could sense a droning sound.

I wondered if the signal originated from the amp, but when I switched everything off, the droning was still there.

My seating position is some 8-10 feet from the sub, and I could still hear it.

As final proof, I got out my spectrum analyser again and this time took readings from my seating position instead of infront of the driver.

With the sub OFF, i can see a small spike at 50hz in othe order of around -55db..

But when I switch it on, I get a 50hz signal at -40db.

Thats quite a noticable noise.

Originally, I thought that I could only hear it when the room was dead quiet.. After being able to notice it throughout the film last night, I am no longer sure.

I am very unhappy.. No, disappointed about this.

I really hope that REL are taking this seriously and are working on a solution...

My supplier has offered to swap the sub.. I don't really think that its going to help...