REL Q100E replacement 12" driver

2xRELq100e

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new on here but have been into Hi-Fi/home cinema for over 20 years.
I bought a REL Q100e second hand 7 years ago, after many years of pleasurable use (maybe not for my neighbours!)the sponge on the outer edge of the 12" driver split, I tried a basic temporary fix but this is not adequate.
I contacted REL customer services and was very pleased to get a quick response, REL recommend the speaker below as the original driver is no longer in production.
audio-components.co.uk product id 4596
Being on a low budget I have tried to source a similar spec driver but with no luck so far.
Then another Q100E popped up on ebay locally, so I bought it!
When testing the new Q100E i have noticed that with some deep bass sounds I hear an annoying squeek, after reading on forums I believe this may be due to a sagging voice-coil.
I have tried a few tricks such as rotating the driver 180 degrees within the cabinet, but the squeek is still apparent now and again.
If anyone on here has had similar issues and can offer advice I would be greatly appreciative.
Looks like I may have to buy 2 new drivers, any advice on replacements?

The foam ring around the edge that attaches the speaker cone to the speaker frame are relatively easy to replace, bringing the speaker back to as good as new, or perhaps better.

When foam surrounds (attaching rings) were conceived they had no long term sense of the durability. As it turns out, in the right atmosphere, the Foam Surrounds disintegrate. Butyl Rubber will not do that, and new modern foam surround are far less likely to do that.

If the speaker driver is otherwise in good shape, then for about £30 to £50, the foam surrounds are easy enough to replace. Some handy people even do it themselves. You can find YouTube video demonstrating how to replace the foam surrounds.

Further, if you feel the need, REL can probably give you a direct replacement for you bass driver, or they may even be able to repair the surround for a fair price.

I see you already contacted them. Contact them again and inquire about just replacing the bad surround ring. Or see if they have a recommendation for a place that could do the repair.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Cheers "BlueWizard", I will contact REL, and search the web/Youtube for the relevant self-repair information.
Will be nice to be able to use both Q100e's in stereo mode with my B&W P6 Loudspeakers. :)

The Q100e was actually made for REL by BK Electronics. They fixed the power supply for mine. You may get a driver from them.

I will give them a call cheers.
Anyone know what the squeaking noise is,well it actually sounds like a small bird chirping. :laugh:

If you are serous about hearing a Squeaking noise, then stop using the speaker. Likely that is the voice coil rubbing. If we wear through the protective coating on the wire, you will short the voice coil and then the entire cone, not just the surround, will have to be replaced.

If it is, as you suggest, a sagging voice coil which could cause the problem, then remove the bass driver and turn it upside down. By that I mean rotate the speaker so the section that is now on the bottom is on the top. That will shift the weight of the cone relative to the magnet and cause it to sag in the other direction. Though it will take years before it sags enough to start rubbing again.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom