1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Q100e Problems...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by The Sheriff, Apr 7, 2003.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Reciently bought a second hand Q100e off this here forum, but i've been having some problems with it that is leading me to believe that it may be damaged in some way, let me know what you think...

I've been setting up my new home cinema, which comprises of a Pioneer D2011 amp (second hand off this forum - 5 weeks old), Mission 77c1/773e's/77ds speaker pack, and the sub. I connected up the sub using both the low and high level inputs and decided to check the setup first (before using the auto calibration) by playing a cd with lots of bass (Eminem - The Eminem Show). By playing around with the sub's controls I found that via the low level input no bass is being produced from the sub at all, and by the high level (speaker) input i just get a muffled/fuzzy sound with little actual bass until the volume is turned right the way up, and even then the muffled/fuzzy sound is still present. I took the front cover off the cone on the sub and can't see any damage to it, and have checked all connections to the amp and the sub with no problems, which ultimately leads me to believe that the sub is damaged internally in some way. Also when i tried a dvd 5.1 soundtrack from my ps2 (temporary dvd source - my tosh needs repairing!) via an optical connection the same problem occurs - no bass via the low level input, rubbish bass from the high level input.

I'm hoping the problem lies with the setup of the amp rather than the sub but i have a strong feeling that as i said, the sub may be damaged.

Cheers

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should speak to the person you brought it off :(

3. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Might also be worth checking the phono lead is ok between the 2011 and REL.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have been talking with the person who i bought the sub off but i was just wondering whether anyone had encountered this problem before and could give me advice.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It really does sound as if the unit is faulty. Especially since you get problems with both the low and high level inputs. =\

MuFu.

6. Silas

Silas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my Q100E a few months after I'd got it. Being impatient, I opened it up and found a "dry" joint on the amplifier board which a bit of soldering cured. I mailed REL about it (I thought they might send me a free one for being such a clever boy) but they were'nt impressed.
    I'm sure they would be happy to repair it for you.
    Silas

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well this one I bought is over 5 years old apparently, so would be out of warrenty, but if the problem is that simple I wouldn't mind giving them a call. How do I find my local Rel dealer to fix it for me?

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4