1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel Q100E owners - advice please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tee, Mar 26, 2003.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've just recently upgraded my fronts to Anthony Gallo Micros from Acoustic Energy floorstanders so essentially, the Rel is now taking care of all of the bass. I'm still messing around, trying to work out the correct settings on my Denon 3802 and the Rel and was wondering what wondering what other Rel Q100E owners have their subs set to? I ask now because I have just adjusted yet again because the sub seemed to be struggling whilst I was watching Swordfish. Whilst I was using floorstanders, the Rel didn't struggle once, but now I have noticed a little 'whoomph' in places if you know what I mean, and dare I say a little 'flapping'. Anyway, like I say I adjusted the sub a few minutes ago using Titan AE as a demo disc, basically turning the volume down to just over 12 O clock and the upper roll-off to nearly 3 O clock. Oh and at the moment I have the crossover set to 100hz on my Denon 3802

If anyone with a Rel Q100E could look in a let me know their settings I would be very grateful, and if anyone else would like to comment, that would be great too!

Cheers

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mate has a Rel Q100E. It is limited on output/LF, so I would use it as a stereo subwoofer only. For AV get a bigger model, my Storm is alot more difficult to run out of cone movement, although still possible.

I think it sounds better in Depth mode.

3. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correctly set up the Q100 is a superb sub. If it worked well with Acoustic Energy floorstanders it will work well with Gallo speakers but only if correctly set up.

Put the crossover on the amp to 120 Hz and on the sub to max and you are then left with the matter of getting the gain control correct.

Of all the past and present REL Q range, this model is still the best.

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    So are you saying turn the volume up to max and only adjust the upper roll-off?

5. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Put the rolloff to max as you want the crossover filtered by the amp and not by the sub. You would be surprised at how low the volume control on the sub should be as many people turn it up to loud.

I always turn it up until I can just hear it then turn it down a bit from there.

If all else fails have a word with uncle eric as not only is he the Gallo expert but he also had a pair of REL Q100's providing the low end grunt in his system in pre Velodyne HGS18 days.

6. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That's what I figured! I had a feeling turning the volume up to max wouldn't be the answer :D Do I still need to set the crossover to 120hz? The most common setting for Gallo Micro owners seems to be 100hz - Uncle Eric himself recommended I set it to this mark........

Thanks for the advice mate

7. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Eric says 100Hz then he is right. I was going from memory which obviously isn't as good as it should be :(

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here's my settings (not sure how useful these are - everybody has different kit/room acoustics!)...

High-level gain: two clicks past 12 o'clock.
    Low-level gain: about the same with most sources - had to use full gain with my HTPC though (.1 output level is annoyingly low on the Audigy2).

X-over: three clicks past 12 for high-level input or wide-open (120/240Hz depending on mode) with bass redirect @80Hz for line-level.

Fantastic sub, although probably lacking a little in terms of raw SPL when compared to more modern offerings.

MuFu.

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,617
    If you're using the single phone LFE output of the amp, you want to effectively disable the sub's crossover altogether. On recent RELs, you can do this, but for the Q100, just turn the crossover knob clockwise as far as it will go.
    Then it is allowing through all the frequencies that your amp is sending through.
    If your crossover is set to 100Hz then all the bass below this from the 5 main channels PLUS the LFE channel are sent to the sub.
    You could try setting the crossover to 80Hz to see what the difference is. 80 is the recommended for THX and most systems, i believe.
    If your sub is flapping then you probably have the volume up too high. Most people do.
    Set it correctly using an SPL meter. And remember that the sound from the sub should not really be 'in your face'.
    oh and NEVER EVER USE THE SLAM MODE. It's purely a sales tool for when ignorant people buying a sub want to hear mid bass.
    (That's not a criticism of those people - we are all ignorant of the facts until we know them :))

10. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for that mate :)

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Q100E not suitable for movies :confused:
    anyway I have my low gain at three quaters( half way for DTS disks) and the cross over at twelve o clock, my sub is set to output full range though.
    hope this helps but I just experimented over about four to five years and this is what I came up with.

cheers Dave.

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    After a few weeks of success can I just thank everyone for their input :)

And by the way, if anyone is wondering about correctly setting up thier Q100, Spectre's advice was absolutely spot on - solved my problem completly!

Cheers

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mates Rel Q100E runs out of cone movement with some DVD's- Starship Troopers, Titan AE, Terminator 2, Toy Story 2. Not that loud either.

For other films it's fine.

Think you need a bigger box/higher powered amp.

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You've mentioned this before and I find it suprising. What size room does he have?

MuFu.

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5m x 5m.

It's weird- even if you reduce the volume it still reaches the limits of the cone fairly easily (with Starship Troopers). Maybe with certain frequencies it can't cope?

Playing music is fine- increasing the volume and the doors across the house rattle.

Bought new.

16. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah - strange. :confused:

MuFu.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I listened to Titan AE on uncle eric's old Q100 powered system and although he was running a pair of them, they rattled my brains about without a problem.