1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Q100E and Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bbanduser, Sep 7, 2003.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I have recently bought a Q100E from this site.I have hooked this to my Denon 3802.I have a question on this though.
    Currently all the speakers are set to small and the sub out is connected to the low level input on the sub.
    Is there any way to connect the high level input on the sub to the receiver? Will that make any difference?

Sometimes I feel the sub output is not as much as I would expect,more true for music. Is that normal with the Q100E? I have set the depth option.

Additionally, which phase option is better?There are options,and what is the meaning of this phase?

Thanks in advance..

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Experiment a bit with the placement of the subwoofer. Corners tend to work well, esp corners near the key seating positions. Calibrate the entire system with a SPL meter when you have the chance too. You can think of the phase control like a *delay*. Since the subwoofer can be placed anywhere in the room...you may have to delay the bass signal slightly to get the acoustical output from the subwoofer *in time* with the acoustical output from the main L/R speakers as everything arrives at your key seating positions. An easy way to get a *in the ballpark* phase setting is too put in some bassy music you are familair with and while you are sitting in your key seat...have a firend slowly adjust the phase control on the subwoofer and see if a certain position seems to tighten everything up for you.

Tom V.
    SVS

3. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Tom.
    What about the high level input?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just shows you the level of help from SVS.. Tom V is "da boss" of SVS Subwoofers.

I would expect some bosses to not bother helping other people out- or slating the Rel and say "Buy SVS"

Nice one Tom :)

5. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hya

I've been using my REL Q100E using both connections from the moment I first got it and never looked back :smashin:

You say you got it second hand but did you get all the accessories you should have, namely the 10m Neutrick Speakon cable (this is the one you need for high level connection) ???

If so, just connect the RED wire to the RED (+) terminal of the RIGHT main speakers, then connect the YELLOW wire to the RED (+) terminal of the LEFT main speakers and finally connect the BLACK wire to either one of the BLACK (-) terminals of your main speakers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

6. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So you are saying I should connect the High level input to the speakers and not the receiver? I do have the the 10m Neutrick cable.
    How does he high level connection help?Does it add anything on it's own,rather what extra will I get with the connection?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Definately not. I think that he is referring to the speaker terminals on the Receiver. I don't believe that connecting the high level cable to the speaker terminals will help you at all so I would leave it unconnected.

Your problem is either that the levels on the speakers haven't been matched properly to the sub or the phase control needs to be adjusted or that you have a problem with an interaction with your room that could be cured by relocating your sub so try moving it around a little.

8. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So are you saying that I should not connect the high level connector at all?
    Why is it there at all then?
    And one more questions - is it possible to use this with the Denon 3802?The front speaker terminals on the receiver are already used up by the cables for the front speakers.So how will I connect the high level terminals then? Will I connect the wires for the speakers and the high level connection through the same terminal?
    Sorry for the questions - but it seems to me that if it is there,then it must serve some purpose..but maybe not..

9. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mate ... you make the connections on the receiver :) sorry if that wasn't clear on my last post.

As for the rest of your question, why don't you try it and see for yourself ?? It's a very simple job and you'll be able to find the results once and for all and then decide which way you like it better. And yes, you should connect the wires around each individual speaker cable at the receiver's terminals.

10. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb - there are 2 holes for each speaker cable,right? So there are positive and negative holes for the positive and negative wires for each of the front speakers.So where will I put in the positive cable for the hight level input?Along with the existing cables through the same holes?Will not these touch then?Just scared that I might blow my speakers..

Secondly,can you guys say roughly how hiow high is the level on your Q100e?Halfway? More than than or less?
    I don't seem to notice any difference in the two phase settings of the sub.
    Thanks for the answers!

11. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes !!! Twist each one of the wires (red, yellow and black) around your existing speaker cables ends as explained before and then connect them back to the amp's terminals as before. They're supposed to make contact with your existing ones - that's the whole point of the exercise. Don't worry you won't blow your speakers :D Just make sure you have everything switched off while at it.

As for the volume levels, I tend to leave them both at around the 11 o'clock position with DEPTH setting. I never use the SLAM one.

Just a thought, have you read the manual ?? :rotfl:

12. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    11 o'clock position?And how what have you set on the amp?
    I have it at the 1 o'clock position at level 0 on the amp and only then do I hear a proper effect.I also use the depth option.
    OK,I will try your idea of the high level input.
    I did not find it very clear regarding the high level input,and it idid not say much about the phase as well.Better than other manuals,but not good enough.
    Will report back with the findings.

13. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did that,and it has improved the level of the bass indeed.Cheers for that!
    I still have to set it near the 12 o'clock level though.
    Without the high level connection,I was losing quite a bit of the signal.Wonder why the manual did not mention it in greater detail.
    I guess the signal now is being taken from the front speakers above the 80Hz level.Will that reduce the quality of the bass?I couldn't turn it up much higher now as it is too late..

14. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you think the 11 o'clock position is not right for you, use the one you like. As long as you're happy with the results you're OK. Just make sure the sound is not overblowned.

I do have my amp sub output at 0db and in my room and with my speakers, this setting is perfect ... remember deep bass is more to be felt than heard, if you know what I mean .....

The high level connection in no way compromises de bass quality as long as you keep the sub volume within reasonable limits.

Glad to have helped

Cheers

Pedro

15. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    bbanduser,

I tried the high level and low level inputs on the Q100E and didn't find a huge difference between them. I ended up using low level inputs only, set all speakers to small and use the crossover in the amplifier.

Cheers,
    Liam

16. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Liam,
    I am noticing a massive difference in the bass with the high level connection though!!
    What level did you set your LFE signal on the amp and the sub?I have set the amp to 0 level and both the high and low level to around the 11 o' clock now and it does sound very nice.

17. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have recently purchased a Q200e and initially used both the high and low level inputs. I am now using only the low level input and the amp sorts the crossover out. I have to say that i have noticed very little, if any at all, difference from using both inputs to just the low level.

I have had a play with the phase control which is limited to 0 or 180 on the Q200e and mine is set to 0, which seemed to give the better sound in my room.

The main thing that I am adjusting at the moment is the gain as the kids keep playing LOTR and they don't like the floor to shake too much! :D