1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL: Q-series or ST-series?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by VirusKiller, May 19, 2003.

1. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Any thoughts?

What are the strengths of each series (box size is not an issue)? And, £ for £, what's better value?

Thanks,
    Joel

2. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According the REL website & my local dealer... the ST series are more musical, mellow... designed to intergrate with 'music'/'hi-fi' focused buyers... the Q series are more dynamic driven home theatre set up buyers

Heard the Storm III & Strata III during the weekend.... fantastic 'audio' subwoofer!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree that they are excellent subs. They might not go quite as deep as some other subs but there again not everyone wants their furniture and ornaments shaking and the glass rattling

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Srata III is an excellent Audio subwoofer but IMO does not cut the mustard when it comes to home cinema

5. robh2002

robh2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HI!

I've listened to a number of subs and currently own a Storm III (for music) and a Paradigm Servo 15 (for my 'cinema'). I've heard the Q200, Strata III and Stadium III and previously owned a Paradigm PDR10.

I've always thought the ST subs were 'better' than the Q series. Being ported (from Storm up) they are able to go louder and lower for a given internal amplifier power, internal volume and driver diameter. Definately go for the Storm III if not a higher model - bypass the Strata III. It's a fine sub, but for a little more money, the Storm is much better. Ov

If you don't mind a small shed sized object in your living room and your use is maily cinema and not so much music get a Paradigm Servo 15. Make sure you take out extra house insurance for the Servo 15 - it almost has the ability to blow out double glazed windows. And doors.

Hope that helps!

Rob.

6. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm very confused about subs at the moment but I do own a Rel Storm MK1 which I enjoy. However, after reading all the post on these forums about subs I've got no idea how mine compares to newer Rels or Velos et al. I've decided to bury my head in the sand and stick with what I've got for another year or so. I'm pretty sure that when I do change though I'll want to hear the sub/subs in my own listening room and may also want to try out a feedback destroyer.

If you buying used then go for a Rel from the classified ads on this forum then if you don't like it or want to upgrade you should be able to get most or all of your money back on it.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I replaced my Storm Mk1 with a Mk3 and didn't notice much difference at all.

Have a look at the comments made by a Paradigm Servo 15 owner here

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,826
    Just to endorse that....I couldnt hear ANY difference at all between a Storm I and Storm III.

Also I strongly disagree with anyone making a sweeping statement that the Strata III "doesnt cut the mustard" with AV.

I had a Strata II for years and was EXTREMELY pleased with it.

Granted, it doesn't go as deep as the Storm, and nowhere near the guts punch n drive of a Servo 15, but it still sounds damn good.

You can't go wrong with any of the above, however I would say one thing: don't buy brand new! RELs are very expensive new, especially the Storm models upwards: look in the forum classifieds and you'll be amazed the bargains that come up. Also, don't bother looking at ebay, they sell for waay too much money on there.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As mine will be soon when I finally pluck up the courage to press the "Buy" button on the SVS website whilst the dollar is still weak

10. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for all your comments everyone :)

Joel