1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL, M&K or B&W sub to match?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Doug, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have £500 to spend on a sub to complete my home cinema. I have searched this forum for sub posts and REL and M&K seem to be favourites. I have the B&W 600 series 3 package hooked up to a 3802 amp. The matching sub is the ASW 650, which replaces the ASW 1000. I have not heard any reports about their performance. I would like to get the matching sub for aesthetic reasons,but if the performance is not up to scratch would consider others. Any recommendations for a sub which would blend in with the rest of my kit? (see pic) I will also consider 2nd hand.

Attached Files:

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    Hi

Bit of a Rel fan myself, there was a Q400 for sale in the classified/Hardware section a while back, might be worth checking out. Not heard the B&W subs so cant comment though they are supposed to be good.

Most subs will blend well with other speakers, just a case of fine tuning and getting the positioning right though aesthetically the B&W sub would be best.

Nice setup by the way, you might want to take that cd rack back though, its bent.:D

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Doug,
    Bowers & Wilkins ASW-1000, changed to Paradigm Servo-15, big, big, upgrade.
    I can't comment on newer B & W subs, but the one I had seemed to lack impact and was a bit one-note if that makes sense.
    REL owners have preferred my new sub(s), but they are no longer available brand new from Richer Sounds @£499.
    Investigate the smaller Paradigm models, still available or like you say check out second-hand RELs and Paradigms.
    Possibly there may be servicing problems with Paradigm as they are "in-between" distributers.

4. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase, will check out the Q400
    Damn, I knew something didn't look right with that rack ;)

5. rory29

rory29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Rel storm 3 and i think its one of the best
    pieces of kit ive brought it can really pressure load the
    room, their was a brand new one for £500 on the
    tag maclaren website the other day (bargain).
    look under the classfieds.
    Rory.

6. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys, gonna check some of these out this weekend :)

7. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after a lot of searching and pestering B&W, finally managed to get an ASW 675 in Sorrento to match existing setup. :D

It's arriving tomorrow,can't wait to try U571,Titan AE, and all those other bass scenes you guys have been talking about. I've been missing out on the dedicated LFE channel for too long now. I know it won't be as good as the likes of Servo-15's,HGS's , etc but I was NOT allowed to bring a quote "ugly big black box" into the house :rolleyes: