1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL Humming

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jmlane, Apr 3, 2001.

1. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a Storm III, I'm very happy with the performance but I've noticed that when there is no signal going to both lo and hi level inputs there is a hum emitted by the sub - the volume of which increases as I turn the gain up higher.

Is this normal cause I don't like it!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be a mains earth loop, maybe.
    Are your sub and amp plugged into the same wall socket?
    If not, then try that.

3. BOBBIE44

BOBBIE44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Rel strata3 and when i first installed it i use to hear a very heavy humming sound, then i change the phono cable and now it work fine but if that don`t work then i would check for earth loop problem.

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You might also check that the input cable doesn't run alongside the mains cable. This isn't always that easy to avoid, but if the cables have to cross at all you should ensure they do so at 90 degrees to each other to minimise induced hum at the mains frequency. This is more noticeable with a sub than other speakers/amps since the induced signal is at 50hz, a frequency most subs reproduces very well

5. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a play around with the sub and its' connections. The hi-level input causes the humming which gets louder as I turn the gain up but only when the amp is off - this is not a problem.

It only when I turn the amp on I get the humming from the lo-level input. I think it's some kind of electrical interference coming from the amp. I'm currently using 5m atlantic cambridge audio interconnect to connect the sub to the amp - could the shielding of this cable be the problem should I invest in better cable?

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you using hi and lo level inputs simultaneously? If it's the interconnect letting things down, and I've no experience with the cable to which you refer, then re-routing the cable you can expect should make some difference, better or worse. Let's know the results.

7. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using hi and lo-level at the same time. What do you mean by re-routing the cable?

8. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, I don't know if I should start a new topic but I think my question is related.

Now and again, my new strata III produces a pop sound. I think its due to the electricity but I'm not sure. It happens any time, when its playing and when its on stand-by. I have it connected using the Hi level option.

Can anyone help to sort this out?

Thanks , Marc

9. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually my sub makes a popping noise - when I turn it on there is one which is normal - I think! I also get a popping noise when I turn the light on or off - so this is obviously something to do with the flow of electrity - is there anyway I can stop this interference?

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    I have a REL Q100E and did at one point have a similar problem, it only ever occured when using the speaker connections ( either wito or without the phono connection )

As soon as the speaker connection was disconnected the humming stopped. This is how I pin-pointed were the problem lay and it was cured.

If your speaker connections are the same as on the 100E then you will have the big input for the sub at one end and the 3 wires for the amp at the other. All I did was re-wire the cable back to the amp, but this time changing the black wire ( i think this was the one ) to the other speaker output.

Its worth a try !!!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the Storm III is double insulated, it is probably not an earthing loop. The High Level input is also a high impedance 100K Ohm and has an unscreened lead on it, so positioning of the cable can be an issue. From the information you have given i think it is hum induced by you amplifier. If you disconnect the high level lead to the sub from the amplifier and twist all three wires together, then you effectively ground all the high level inputs, if you get no hum then it is probably your amp at fault, if there is still hum then it's getting in through the cable.

Dont get dissheartened it supposed to be fun.

Good Luck

Tom

12. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I'm gonna repeat the problem. I only get the humming when the amp is on.

I get the humming from LO-LEVEL input and I'm pretty sure it IS FROM THE AMP.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my storm. This is probably something you have already checked, but i had a short from one straggle bit of wire betwwen the red and yellow cables..... when i fixed that, all was well!

14. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LO-LEVEL INPUT ie. phono connection!

15. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't directly help, since, but if you want I can offer you the option to test the sub on my system, or even lend you a different 7M interconnect if you want to try it out.

Let me know if you want to try I'm in Swindon aswell.

Slingshot

16. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    'Any' interconnect with inadequte shielding/+ve/-ve connections will 'definately' induce hum in the sub. The hum will get louder as vol increses!
    The interconnect will pick up noise from many sources as mentioned above.
    Change it for a better made one.
    Hi and Lo give different results as it will depend on how the interconnect/connection on the sub are earthed, if you follow?
    Ie, use a cable with no shielding and not earthed you get and big hum straight away!
    try it with another cable. Really, you should be using a phono connection anyway, it 'will' give a much better sound than the hilevel option. I know as I've tried all this before. For heavy duty info on it, search sub connections on the forum and you'll see a long thread discussing exactly this.
    Good luck. :)

My best guess is, that when you turn on the amp, the interconnect you have is simply relaying noise straight to your sub. It's obvious as a 10" or whatever woofer hums at an easily audible level.

[ 13-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

[ 14-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

[ 14-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

17. TIGGER

TIGGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Hope you have sorted your problem if not I had the same problem with a Sony Amp and a Tannoy sub. I tried everything that was recommended even buying a new cable which made it worse. I tried playing around and I earthed the casing of the amp straight to the mains earth ie through the plug. NO humming now what so ever and it sounds great, give it a go!!