Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Arendal 1723 Sub 2

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lrehcsa

Established Member
Reaction score
My quest for a dual Subwoofer purchase and ensuing bass Nirvana continues and I think I've narrowed it down to these 3 candidates, eSub and Arendal are discussed at length on here but there doesn't seem to be much love or discussion for the Rel which is a surprise as it seems to get great reviews.

If anyone has any experience of these 3 compared please let me know. Will mainly be used for movies, I've got a ported SVS PC12 Plus Sub at the moment but fancy trying sealed for a change.

I voted Arendal because I have chosen Arendal (sub 1) for myself. But as I have not considered any of the other two in my research my vote is kind of useless to you :D

Still question was asked so I answered. I am good like that ;)

There were also for sale 2x 18" PSA sealed subs (in this forum). If you can fit one of them I would be buying it. Cheaper then Arendal Sub2 and I am sure more potent.

It might be helpful if you shared how you had arrived at that shortlist?

It might be helpful if you shared how you had arrived at that shortlist?

After much reading I came to the conclusion that I think these models are in the sweet spot for price/performance and would be suitable for the room size which is 27sqm

After much reading I came to the conclusion that I think these models are in the sweet spot for price/performance and would be suitable for the room size which is 27sqm

Why no PSA or SVS models?

Personally I think the REL and JL models are overpriced compared to rivals, and for movies there are alternatives I'd be inclined to choose over the Arendal Sub 2, due to going deeper.

I would definitely add a couple of PSA 1512 and maybe SVS SB3000 to your shortlist.

My room is approximately the same size and I'm planning on going for dual 18s

l have a ht1508 along with a T7I in a 20 sqm room actually its in my bedroom/man den home cinema room....the HT1508 has actually moved the king size bed whilst watching a movie a few weeks past,prices of the ht1508 where coming down by £100 last month but they have shot back most likely due to short supply as they are assembled in China,l am contemplating on buying another ht1508 or T9i to replace the T7i l have just now...if your after the fastest bass in town look no further than the HT1508....its rather a handsome looking cube into the bargain especially with the cover off Carbon fibre looks very sexy....cant say that about the rather cheap looking SVS subs....but that's the Americans for ya or as l call SVS subs Gung Ho subs

@Lrehcsa

Few videos which are more intresting than speaking about specs. Shane liked the Sub2 but said the bass you can feel rather than hear (infrasonics) wasn´t just there. Tight hard hitting bass and also very musical. Sadly Arendal shipped only one which have hard time to wow against PB16U.

Video starts from Sub 2 part:

REL HT1508. These duals did some things better than dual SVS SB3000 he also tested. Clearly it`s same story as with Arendal both start to drop around 20hz, but he said these were one of the best most refined subwoofers he have heard to date and the quality of bass is what separates these from others. Just watch the damn video, it´s only 10min! :D He also reviewed the HT1205 duals, but these were better sounding aswell as better performing clearly. I find these videos enjoyable as Shane has lot of experience with different products and he uses the same movies he knows and won´t keep talking 30min crap of features etc. boring stuff. Short and sweet.

Last edited:
From experience and preference, and ultimately dependant on you, I’d choose the 15 over the 18

Yeh, I remember you what you said when I had the demo at yours. I have been mulling it over and 2 1512's would be eaiser on the wallet and I wouldn't have to raise my screen to fit them underneath. I think REW room sim suggests one rear and one front may well be the best position.

Maybe I should keep my S3600 18" at the rear and buy two new 15" for the front. Cost the roughly the same as trading mine for 2 18" Ipals.

Its the lure of the Ipal drivers though....although the reports of ground hum have me concerened recently! Not sure what to do...

Still waiting for your update on your dual SB300s btw ;)

Shane liked the Sub2 but said the bass you can feel rather than hear (ultrasonics) wasn´t just there.

As my name is being taken in vain ( :) ) I'll just mention that you mean infrasonics there: ultrasonic refers to frequencies above the maximum frequency that is audible (nominally 20 kHz) and infrasonic refers to frequencies below the minimum frequency that is audioble (nominally 20 Hz).

As my name is being taken in vain ( :) ) I'll just mention that you mean infrasonics there: ultrasonic refers to frequencies above the maximum frequency that is audible (nominally 20 kHz) and infrasonic refers to frequencies below the minimum frequency that is audioble (nominally 20 Hz).

I clearly thought of you when writing it at middle of night. I wonder why.. 😆 🤫 Typo corrected.

I’m weighing up my dual sub options as well. I’m veering towards the REL 1508 although I won’t rush my decision until later in autumn

Why no PSA or SVS models?

Personally I think the REL and JL models are overpriced compared to rivals, and for movies there are alternatives I'd be inclined to choose over the Arendal Sub 2, due to going deeper.

I've had an SVS Sub for the last 12 years and fancy trying something different, I'm sure the PSA are good but they're a bit ugly for a living room plus I can't actually find anyone selling in the UK who has stock.

I think Arendal seem to offer good bang for the buck and the twin drivers appeal plus they are finished nicely for a living room. I like the pedigree of Rel and a 15" driver has to offer something the 12" can't. JL Audio just seems like a nice high end product again with good reviews.

A small Devil on my shoulder is saying just get dual SVS PB-3000's though

You seem pretty knowledgeable on this subject, what would you recommend?

Last edited:

You seem pretty knowledgeable on this subject, what would you recommend?

Given you're talking about spending around £4k, and you've now thrown ported subs into the mix as well, my main thought is you ought to be trying to demo something to help inform your decision.

You're right that you're not going to be able to get a new PSA sub quickly, or in fact be sure right now how long you'd have to wait for one.

I'd like to hear that Rel after watching the review. Think I'd miss the low end grunt though.

You're right that you're not going to be able to get a new PSA sub quickly, or in fact be sure right now how long you'd have to wait for one.

Probably another 2-3months off yet before our stock arrives.

If sheer spl is the goal, I’d go for the biggest subs you can fit in in positions that offer good response. Maybe wait for some of the newer 18 models that PSA are offering as they seem to be great value, that offer powerful lows and also lots of midbass!

l got my REL HT1508 for £1280 from RS...Peter Tyson wasnt far behind in price either a tener actually....l think l am going to try out 2 of them....soon

l got my REL HT1508 for £1280 from RS...Peter Tyson wasnt far behind in price either a tener actually....l think l am going to try out 2 of them....soon

The current price seems to be about £1600?

The current price seems to be about £1600?
Yeah it was the same price in February £1600,l phoned Peter Tyson then RS beat it...contacted Peter Tyson tonight via a sales enquiry for another 1508 and also for an date of estimated stock of the LX 904...it's either one or the other or a Denon Avcx8500...in need of a bit of retail therapy...lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom