REL HT1003 Subwoofer Specs- help needed

Fraziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The sub in my home cinema system has developed a fault and I need a new one. I have a 5.1 set of excellent Tannoy small satellite speakers and an Onkyo 6 Series receiver and am looking for a new Sub for TV and home cinema use.

I need to know the frequency response range of the Rel and the adjustable crossover/low pass range so I can determine if i can set it to match with my speakers which have a frequenct range of 140Hz-78khz.

Does anyone know the frequency response range and the crossover/low pass range of the Rel HT 1003 Sub? I cant find it anywhere and would it match well with small speakers?

Thanks in advance

Well looking at the back of that sub it looks like the (adjustable) range goes from around 40-160, that is if the dial assumes there is 40-100-160 as there is 60Hz difference on the low range so one would assume there is 60Hz on the higher range. (most subs cater for smaller speakers like yours)
So I would hazard a guess if you set the sub to about 2 o'clock it should be about right. All that knob does is filter out any bass above the frequency you set it to, which is where the satellite speakers take over.

Frequency response -6db @ 24hz at the low end but no information on top end, would guess it starts to drop off between 120hz-160hz so no significant issues there in terms of compatibility with the speakers - especially since this range is so dominated by room modes and other acoustic anomalies. Having said that, although subs included in small all-in-one packages can tend to play well up to 200hz+ range to compensate for the smaller speakers (mid-bass performance), they often don't go down as low for sub-bass as a dedicated sub like the Rel. So you may notice a tonal difference with less emphasis in the system's mid bass range and a bit more rumble at the bottom end that may appear slower than what you're accustomed to from the all-in-one package.

Unless your intended use is for something not mentioned in the OP or I've misunderstood the question relating to the sub's adjustable crossover, this function would be set inside the AV receiver with the sub's internal crossover set to bypass.

If you're unsure if it'll match the speakers the best option is to purchase the sub from a reputable dealer with a good return policy.

Frequency response -6db @ 24hz at the low end but no information on top end, would guess it starts to drop off between 120hz-160hz so no significant issues there in terms of compatibility with the speakers - especially since this range is so dominated by room modes and other acoustic anomalies. Having said that, although subs included in small all-in-one packages can tend to play well up to 200hz+ range to compensate for the smaller speakers (mid-bass performance), they often don't go down as low for sub-bass as a dedicated sub like the Rel. So you may notice a tonal difference with less emphasis in the system's mid bass range and a bit more rumble at the bottom end that may appear slower than what you're accustomed to from the all-in-one package.

Unless your intended use is for something not mentioned in the OP or I've misunderstood the question relating to the sub's adjustable crossover, this function would be set inside the AV receiver with the sub's internal crossover set to bypass.

If you're unsure if it'll match the speakers the best option is to purchase the sub from a reputable dealer with a good return policy.

BK subs play up to 200hz when the internal crossover is bypassed (low freq knob to LFE) i saw some measurements at hometheatershack plus talked with BK`s Tom about this years ago. SVS plays high up too.

If we look the REL HT/1205 FR black line bypassed it drops quite steeply at each end. Notice the bump in the "chest slam" region as per the reviews saying these slam like sledgehammer.

rel-ht1205_971369.jpg

Comparison:

image_preview2

Hi,

The sub in my home cinema system has developed a fault and I need a new one. I have a 5.1 set of excellent Tannoy small satellite speakers and an Onkyo 6 Series receiver and am looking for a new Sub for TV and home cinema use.

I need to know the frequency response range of the Rel and the adjustable crossover/low pass range so I can determine if i can set it to match with my speakers which have a frequenct range of 140Hz-78khz.

Does anyone know the frequency response range and the crossover/low pass range of the Rel HT 1003 Sub? I cant find it anywhere and would it match well with small speakers?

Thanks in advance
Are you size restricted? You can get better sub cheaper than the HT/1003 that will play up high to support your sats. Naturally you would keep the sub close / between the LCR for best blending.

PS. BK XLS200 similar to HT/1003 comes available early january.
+/- 3 dB points: 36.5 Hz - >200 Hz

Well looking at the back of that sub it looks like the (adjustable) range goes from around 40-160, that is if the dial assumes there is 40-100-160 as there is 60Hz difference on the low range so one would assume there is 60Hz on the higher range. (most subs cater for smaller speakers like yours)
So I would hazard a guess if you set the sub to about 2 o'clock it should be about right. All that knob does is filter out any bass above the frequency you set it to, which is where the satellite speakers take over.
Thanks. That's what I thought but I've seen some subs where the crossover range goes up to 160 but the frequency range doesn't. Which doesn't make sense. If the sub won't go to 140hz then it won't blend with my satellites. At least if I've understood it correctly.

Thanks. I expect a bit more rumble as my current sub has an 8 inch driver and goes down to 45hz, that's fine. I was under the impression I had to set the crossover manually on the sub to blend with my satellites? Is that not correct?

BK subs play up to 200hz when the internal crossover is bypassed (low freq knob to LFE) i saw some measurements at hometheatershack plus talked with BK`s Tom about this years ago. SVS plays high up too.

If we look the REL HT/1205 FR black line bypassed it drops quite steeply at each end. Notice the bump in the "chest slam" region as per the reviews saying these slam like sledgehammer.

rel-ht1205_971369.jpg

Comparison:

image_preview2
Hi, so from that would you say the sub will go up to around 140-150hz so its compatible with my speakers? Thanks

Any other recommendations gratefully received. Thanks

I would see what deal they will do on this:

Not sure if in your budget but it would be great (and they go very high frequency, I have the 10" THX so have tested it in room).

Thanks. I expect a bit more rumble as my current sub has an 8 inch driver and goes down to 45hz, that's fine. I was under the impression I had to set the crossover manually on the sub to blend with my satellites? Is that not correct?

No. You'd bypass the sub's crossover, bass management is done in the AVR.

If there's no bypass on the sub, set the crossover to maximum.

Whats your budget? any cosmetic or size requirements?

Monolith thx 10 inch at £450 looks great value. American Audio, forum sponsor, sell them.

edit: 10 inch not on the site but 12 and 15 are. you can always ask. Subwoofer

Hi, budget around 400. I still don't understand how to set up a sub then. I thought I had to match my crossover to match the speakers? Is there a way to plug the sub output from my av receiver to the sub's input and the crossover is set automatically to match my speakers? I guess I'll need to look at instructions. I'm in a flat so I'm wary of anything that might rattle my neighbours windows,lol.

Hi, budget around 400. I still don't understand how to set up a sub then. I thought I had to match my crossover to match the speakers? Is there a way to plug the sub output from my av receiver to the sub's input and the crossover is set automatically to match my speakers? I guess I'll need to look at instructions. I'm in a flat so I'm wary of anything that might rattle my neighbours windows,lol.
You are confused with an av setup and a stereo amp setup.

With an av reciever, you simply plug the sub in and let the reciever do all the crossover work. All you have to look for is a sub that will play high enough to overlap the speakers. Set the crossover to maximum or turn it off if possible.

Go to the menu in your av reciever, set the speakers to 'small' and set the crossover to whatever your speakers are capable of.

With a stereo amp, they don't usually have bass management so you'll need to set the crossover on the sub. People usually feed full range pre outs, a dedicated sub out, which usually is a pre determined crossover and slope if not limited adjustments (if the stereo amp has one) or feed full range via high level speaker inputs.

You are confused with an av setup and a stereo amp setup.

With an av reciever, you simply plug the sub in and let the reciever do all the crossover work. All you have to look for is a sub that will play high enough to overlap the speakers. Set the crossover to maximum or turn it off if possible.

Go to the menu in your av reciever, set the speakers to 'small' and set the crossover to whatever your speakers are capable of.

With a stereo amp, they don't usually have bass management so you'll need to set the crossover on the sub. People usually feed full range pre outs, a dedicated sub out, which usually is a pre determined crossover and slope if not limited adjustments (if the stereo amp has one) or feed full range via high level speaker inputs.
Brilliant, thanks. Makes sense. My av receiver has an option to twll it my speaker size and range. I can set the received at either 120Hz or 150Hz. The speakers themselves have a range of 140hz to 78khz. Should I tell the receiver they are 120 or 150 Hz? Thanks

Set it to 150hz because your speakers are only rated to 140HZ. Even at 150hz its may still be a little too low if the 140hz of the speakers is at - 6db or-3db and they steeply drop off. I'm afraid your sub will have to, not only function as a sub, but also fill the mid bass frequencies.

You should consider upgrading the speakers if funds allow.

Set it to 150hz because your speakers are only rated to 140HZ. Even at 150hz its may still be a little too low if the 140hz of the speakers is at - 6db or-3db and they steeply drop off. I'm afraid your sub will have to, not only function as a sub, but also fill the mid bass frequencies.

You should consider upgrading the speakers if funds allow.
Yeah, I understand that but I have an expensive hi fi system and I dont have the space for bigger home cinema speakers as well and it would be too cluttered for my living area.The speakers I have, while small, are good quality. Think Cambridge audio minx quality. I need some compromise and the system, while not having the mid range extension of full sized speakers, works pretty well. Being in a flat too I can't go too big. Thanks for the help..I'm very clued in re hi fi kit but subs was an area I just didn't know a lot about. Appreciate it.

There is a solution without spending much whilst having better than ca minx quality and small size. I would recommend taking a look at canton and elac satelite based systems.

There is a solution without spending much whilst having better than ca minx quality and small size. I would recommend taking a look at canton and elac satelite based systems.
I will ,thanks

Which Tannoys do you have? If it's the tfx, fx , sfx or efx with the 'wide band' tweeters, then definitely have a look. If it's the hts or arena then the cantons or elac probably won't be night and day difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom