1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL: How do their ST subs compaire with the Q range

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I am wondering how the Strata would compare with the Q150?

Is lower powered, but is it noticably more/less able?

Jon

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    According to Rel the Q range lean towards AV and the ST series towards music.

Either way, they are both great subs. Not done a direct comparison myself between the two though.

3. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed my Q150 for a Strata III. I had the humming problem on the Q150 and spent about 3/4 weeks replacing one humming box for another.

I used this time to give the Q150 a good run. I liked it for movies but found that I just could not get it to blend well for music. I was continuously fiddling with the settings which eventually got on my nerves.

Whilst waiting for my 3rd Q150 I decided to change to the Strata III. It took me about 20 minutes to get it setup and I haven't touched it since. Even though it is less powerful, it seems to give a bigger sound. May be this is a feature of downward firing subs?

I am very,very pleased with the upgrade.
    Its also more cat-proof. No nice grill to rip to shreads :)

Mike.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    There was a thread about this a couple of months back, so you probably want to do a search for that.

Note that REL used to have frequency-response graphs on their web page, but I can't seem to find them any more. Spectre?

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    The graphs have been removed until they can be replaced with something more accurate and, I believe, more readable.
    I couldn't understand them, for one !

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I have to admit I couldn't figure out what was happening at the very low frequencies - it did show nicely the "hump" that the Q series tended to have around 30-50Hz whereas the ST range tended to be much flatter over their full range. I'd be interested to see what you replace them with.

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Mike,

Did it completely cure the Q150 'humming' problem? Is there ANY sign of 'hum' at all from the Strata.

I too was affected by the 'hum' and am now looking again for a sub which will forfill my needs.

Its either the Strata or the 'MJ Acoutsics Pro50', but it just seems a little underpowered from what I am used too.

Jon

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two Strata III, they blend perfectly with music and movies, no problem with humm...

They also look very nice, and safe from cats and kids (or vacuum cleaners), without any cloth grilles...

9. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

My Strata does not hum at all. After many humming Q150's this was the first thing I listened for when I connected it up.

I can't say I have noticed any loss of power. If anything I now get a bigger, more controlled sound. It's hard to describe but all I can say is that it was certainly not a backwards move going to the Strata.

It also has an on/off switch which the Q150 didn't :)

Mike.

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Interesting... I have a lot of history with the Q150, which i can't really go into right now...

I still want a REL and the only option is the Strata.. But I am obviously concerned after having an endless stream of humming Q150s!

With the Strata, even if you get within a few inches, is it TOTALLY silent.

On the Q150, even if you can't hear the hum, you can feel it, by touching the driver.. It vibrates....

On the Strata, is it TOTALLY (and I mean 100%) silent when its idle?

11. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

Let me know how you get on if you go down the strata III route, as I am still not happy with my Q150, after trying various solutions.

I am sure if there is any hum I would notice as I am now looking for it.

Thanks

Skid Solo

12. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally silent when idle.

I know what you mean about the feeling the driver vibrating. That's exactly what my Q150 did!

If the Strata had the same symptoms as the Q150 I would have given up with Subs all together, well REL anyway.

Go and have a listen!

Mike.

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Thanks Mike.. Maybe that the route I should be going down..

I have lost an awful lot of confidence with REL and from my perspective, I have no reason to think that all their subs won't suffer with this hum problem.

After all, I am sure that they share similar componants!

I will certainly give them a chance.. Perhaps the Q150 is just a one-off in their product range.

Tommorow is the Bristol Hifi Show.. I am hoping to meet some people from REL so that I can have a little chat with them about this.. They don't have a stand as such, but I am sure that they will have some of their people on their distributers stand!

Thanks for the feedback.

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Jon Weaver

I had a Strata III, and it was totally 100% silent at idle (unlike the Q150 I demoed, which did hum). I must admit, the old Q100 I had hummed constantly, but the only way you could tell was by touching the driver, like you said.
    In all, I was decidedly unimpressed by the Q150, and chose another sub. I suggest you do the same if you are considering a Q150, as the Strata III is leagues ahead of the Q200, never mind the Q150 (even if it is more expensive).

Regards sharing components, the driver on the Q150 looks similar to the one in the Strata III...

Russell

15. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I am sure that I typed this already, but its disappeared.. If my post turns up, sorry!

I have a huge problem.

I loaned my humming Q150 to a friend and in his house it doesn't make a sound.

It seems that it might be affected by an enviromental condition (i.e mains quality)

I am worried now, as if one type of sub gives me this problem in my house, so might another.

I had a Yamaha before and that didn't make a sound.. I have to hope that the Q150 is sensitive to something, that the Strata isn't!

My fingers are crossed!!

16. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See other posts on subject, but hum could well be a ground mains loop. SOme components are more succeptable than others, it depends on transformer type and positioning (amongst other things).

F.Y.I I have a REL Q400 and it is completly silent, no hint of hum, however a little story:

I have had the same Hifi set up for several years with no hum problems whatsoever. When I added the Denon 3802 a couple of months ago my original HiFi power amps started humming. By rerouting cables, adjusting relative positions of components and changing the sockets things are pluged into I have almost (but not completly) eliminated the problem. If I remove the 3802 the problem disappears. So which components do you blame?, The power amps are OK without the 3802, the 3802 itself is not humming.

17. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Its not a ground loop.. I can assure you that.. I have been working closely with REL about this and its clearly something about the Q150 working in certain enviroments.

Thats why some people have no problems, others get the hum.

I have just managed to borrow a Strata from Severn Oaks.. I my fingers are crossed

18. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Looks like I do have a problem!!

The Strata hums in my house too!!

Not as much as the Q150, but its still there.

I can hear it worse in Mode 2 and 4 or when I have the cuttof frequency set around max.

I don't think that the Strata is earthed, as when I connected an earth, the hum reduced.. But its still there.

I am really p**sed off now... What could I have in my enviroment which causes this problem?

Would ALL subs be affected, or is it just the REL which is sensitive to what ever it is?

I don't know what to do now.. I have to find a sub, but I don't know what to get!

THe MJ Acoutsic subs looks really nice, but its not powerful enough..... Bugger!

19. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I take it back.. It doesn't hum..

It did a little bit (and I mean a little), but I put an earth on the chasis and it reduced, but it was still there.

Then I put an earth on my equipment and it went TOTALLY silent!

However, the Q150 in EXACTLY the same setup (same cables, locatation, etc) still hums.

However, I have to say that I wasn't blown away with the performance as I was with the Q150.. Perhaps I need to spend more time with it, but i just wasn't as impressed..

Still.. GIven a choice of a humming sub or the Strata, the Strata wins hands down.. Now, if only I can convince my other half that its not as big as it looks!

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just throwing this in for what its worth.

I got a storm about 2 years ago......i had it connected by the neutrik thingy, with the 3 wires on the amp end......at first i was unsure where the 3 wires should be connected, so i only connected red and black.....i got a big humming noise. After thinking what was actually going on, the earthing thing hit me.....so connected the remaining yellow wire of the 3 to the other black speaker terminal. That sorted the problem totally, no more hum.

As far as hum of components in general goes......it should only be amplified devices shouldnt it. But i have a problem with my marantz stereo amp on occasion. Specifically due to dirty mains supply. All it takes is a hair drier to be turned on, and i get a big hum! But, again this can be removed! Im sure everyone knows of kimber cables ala russ andrews.....well a mains cable of that making with one of the purifier machines on the end of it clears the problem.....it would need to considering the cost!

I can only guess further, since i dont know what exatly brings about the hum. Do the amplifier transformers use the raw input ac? i think the do. I guess it is possible that a input ac supply with chaotic frequencies, amplitudes etc couuld bring about periodic spikes in the transformed supply.......hence it is no longer flat under normal confitions thus giving a constant hum???

or when i think about it, thats probably total sh***!!

but to answer the topic, i chose between storm, strata 3 and q200. At the time mustic was of importance but it was listened to under cinema conditions as well. The strata was no match for either of the others, however i know think it was set up wrong in the shop......but of the q200 and storm, the storm was a far deeper and more consistant sound, hence it got my money.

so i like the ST range.

ad

21. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think the mains itself is the problem, rather some frequencies induced into the supply anywhere in the house, like the hairdryer mentioned. Most likely a lower frequency which the passes through the transformer (they do use the raw AC input but sometimes you may find a filter at the input side, too) and ends up in the more sensitive electronics of the amplifier section.

Then there is transformer hum, a flaw in the transformer itself, some glue dripped into the windings can sometimes sort this out. (NOTE: disconnect AC power before opening the cover and doing so!)

Ground loops are another common problem which can usually be sorted out by try-and-error by removing and putting back all interconnects and other cabling.

Oh, and bees do hum, too. Only Ridsect will help here. :D

22. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    It nothing to do with Earths.. I have proved that.

Basically the Q150 hums.. The Q200/Strata doesn't.. Same connections.. Same mails.. Same cables... Same location.. Same enviroment....

There must be something with the Q150