Rel, Denon LFE+Main

norge

Established Member
Reaction score
I read a thread regading LFE+Main settings on Denon. As now I am going to turn this specifically to a rel sub, I thought of starting a new thread....

Many people argue that low level connection and hi level connection on Rel do not work simultaneously. What if with speakers set to large and Denon AVR set to LFE+MAIN. If crossover in sub is set to 27Hz, this would feed sub with frequencies below 27Hz from main speakers via Hi level connection and frequencies below say 60Hz(depending on crossover set in AVR) via LFE from main speakers to sub. So my question: Are frequencies below 27Hz boosted more due to two inputs? Or maybe the circuitry inside the sub filters one out?

Another curiosity that I would like to know is if both left and right surround speakers send a 40Hz signal via LFE, to the sub, will it sound the same if just one speaker sent the signal? My point is does the LFE filters on its own similar signals from different speakers to amplify just one?

Thanks

LFE is a discrete channel. Bass in the mains speakers are part of those individual channels. Bass in the speaker channels is the same as the bass from the sub via the high level connection, only subs generally do a better job of it and go deeper than most speakers. LFE is 10db louder so if both LFE and re-directed speaker bass are played from the sub together, the LFE takes president unless you purposely make the nigh level connection louder.

When setting the auto setup of Denon should the LFE of sub be turned at full gain?

When setting the auto setup of Denon should the LFE of sub be turned at full gain?

Yes. All that knob on the sub does it filter out frequencies above what ever you set it at. You dont need that ability as your AVR will do this. So you simply set it to max so it does no filtering and let the AVR take care of the LFE crossover.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know I am just adjusting volume level (gain for LFE). There is no filtering in Rel with LFE. Filtering takes place only in Hi level collection. I am using calibration with Hi level disconnected. I just have LFE connected.

As far as I know I am just adjusting volume level (gain for LFE). There is no filtering in Rel with LFE. Filtering takes place only in Hi level collection. I am using calibration with Hi level disconnected. I just have LFE connected.

Sorry, my confusion there. The gain should be set about half way. If you find the AVR setting the trim level to extremes, then adjust the gain on the sub a little so as to avoid that scenario. Ideally, I would try keep the sub trim levels within +/- 6db on the processor.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom