REL B1 vs Studio III

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by indirstr8s, Apr 20, 2007.

1. indirstr8s

indirstr8s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am contemplating a REL for my stereo. Has anybody comapred a REL B1 with Studio III

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Hi there, interesting inquiry as we are in a similar situation in my shop.

We have until recently had a Stadium 3 (£1500) in the larger of our two demo rooms. Due the the ST series from the Stadium downward being discontinued we decided to sell the Stadium off.

We are now in the situation where we need a subwoofer which will fill this room well at all volume levels including Reference level from our Arcam AV9/P7 setup. Our first thoughts were to get the B1 so we spoke to our area manager for REL and arranged to get a loan of one of the new B1 subwoofers to try out. We have had the unit for about 2 weeks now and although it's not a bad sub soundwise, it does not sound significantly better than the cheaper Stadium 3 it replaced. In fact I would go so far to say the the Stadium 3 produced more extended and natural sounding bass than the B1. The B1 has a little more headroom volume wise as it uses a larger driver and more power. The B1 also has the problem (which seems to be common with most of the new REL subwoofers) in that it is just plain ugly. For the B1 to cost £500 more and not be significantly better and taking into accounts its aesthetics we did not feel it was a viable option.

We have now negotiated a very attractive demo price on a REL Stentor 3 (I use one of these at home) and so we will be installing of these very shortly. The REL Stentor 3 retails for £2500 and is quite a bit better than the B1.

If however you are comparing the B1 to the £4500 Studio 3 then I have no doubt whatsoever that the Studio 3 will significantly and comfortably outperform the B1. I think there is a very good reason why REL have chosen to continue production of both the Stentor 3 and the Studio 3 as they still represent the pinnancle of RELs expertise in manufacturing top class sub bass systems with build quality and finish to match.

In summary, I do not think that the B1 represents any significant improvement over the £1500 Stadium 3 let alone the £2500 Stentor 3 or the £4500 Studio 3. On top of that, both the Stentor and Studio models which are still in production are considerably more attractive pieces of furniture which is an important factor when trying to fit units of that size into any room.

3. floatingkiwi

floatingkiwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do you know why they dropped that range? The remote facility is very handy and they just look real good. My Storm 5 seems to perform very admirably...

Matt

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, i loved my Strata 5 for its nice clean cut looks in black and its remote ability was a boon...something i dearly wish my SVS could have to save getting up when i switch from AV amp to Hifi amp :(

Sumiko took over REL, I guess they simply felt a need to revamp the lineup, keeping the Stentor and Studio presumably because of their high end appeal sonically and aesthetically.....

5. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Sorry to drag this thread up again but I'm currently torn between a Storm 5 and a B2.

I find the comments made so far very interesting as the new range is double the price that I can get the Storm for, and it looks like it's been constructed overnight in a shed! - I'm really tempted to go for the Storm but I keep being told that the B2 is worth the extra money. (I can't demo the Storm and B2 together) - I have a stampede at present and am very happy with it but a move to a bigger room, means a change is needed.

Any thoughts ?

6. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Exactly what size room and exactly what system is it being used in?

Russell

7. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Russell, the room is 5m x 4m and will be used with KEF Ref 201/202 at the front and if i can find another pair, 201's at the rear.

The Stampede I'm using is in a room of 3x2.5 and is used with RDM2's all round which works nicely.

8. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    So it's being used in a multichannel setup in an average sized room.:thumbsup:

What configuration do you use for straight stereo/CD listening? Do you listen to CDs at all? If so are you using high and low level inputs for different purposes?

Is music really important to you, or are movies where it's really at as far as you're concerned? In other words, what are your priorities and what electronics in particular are you using?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, but the answers are important, because depending on your answers/beliefs/priorities, REL may hold the key, or you could blow them out of the water for a lot and I mean a lot less money.

Take the time to fill in the blanks, it's for your benefit.:)

Russell

9. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi,

I have a REL B2 in my cinema (upgraded from an old KEF 30B). The room is about 5.5m x 4m and is kitted out with 7 x KEF 9000ACE. . . . I love this sub, the range and movement of air is lovely, I am really happy with it. Cannot comment about the other sub you are thinking of.

Ian.