1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL and Dual Mono amps problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Microvent, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Microvent

Microvent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently blew up a Musical fidelity A308 amp I was trying, plus other amps were getting very warm!!!!. I eventually decided my REL strata 1 was faulty so off it goes to REL for checking. However they say there is nothing wrong, BUT the reason for blowing amps is as follows. I find it hard to beleive personally. I was using the high level inputs.
    From Gavin at REL
    the problem lies with the way the cables have been connected to the amp not the REL
    As you are using Dual Mono (same thing applies to monoblocks) the current connections of the amp are one channell has the red ( or yellow) and black connected and the other channel has just the yellow ( or Red) connected.
    Due to the design of the amps this will usually cause one of the channels to go unstable, thus overheating/blowing the amp.
    what needs to be done is to keep the REL connectedas nprmal but at the amps connections keep the positives as is, but connect the blacks to a ground point onb the amp, this will keep a common groundpoint to the monos keeping them stable

Sorry to be so lengthy but I thought you should be warned. personall : i think its down to bad REL amp design( my hifi dealer friends think so too)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I also use mono power amps with my REL and have had no problems whatsoever,but it seems absolutely correct that a common ground connection is used as your REL rep has suggested,otherwise a potential difference between the amps could be developed,with damage to the sub's amp being the likely consequence.

Personally,I don't think it's down to poor amp design,just the need for common grounding,which is relatively easy to ensure.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I use an MJ Acoustics Reference 1 subwoofer with the high level leads conencted to the A308 integrated without any problems so far. I have always connected it as per the normal instructions with the two positives connected and one negative. Never had any problems ever.

4. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm using a Stampede connected to a TAG 100x5r for the high level. I contacted the helpdesk today and was informed that the amps do not share a ground so I'm potentially in the same boat. Does anyone know how I could ground the black lead ? I would use the phono stage but I don't have one!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Rob.