1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rel 150 settings

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ivor_Monkey, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone with experience of the Rel 150 sub please suggest some settings for the sub to go with BW 601 front speakers, and pioneer 2011. Odd combination I know, but I would appreciate any suggestions for setting the sub up correctly with this combination
    Thanks

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why is this an odd combo? I presume it sounds good to you, in which case there's nothing odd about it at all.

I presume that you are running a full 5.1 system, in which case you've got 2 options really:

- Set all speakers to small, and connect the sub to the 'subwoofer' line out on the back of the 2011, mode 2 or 4 on the sub (whichever sounds louder from your listening position), depth mode (never use slam), adjust the lfe volume control to suit.

- As above, but use the neutrik cable (I presume you've also got this) to connect into the speaker outputs for the front channels, set the front l/r to large, set the Rolloff on the sub to the point where the 601's rolloff (req an SPL meter & a lot of patience), adjust the line volume control on the sub to suit.

The advantage of the second method is that you can listen in stereo, bypassing any DSP and the sub will just take over when the 601's rolloff.

All of this is detailed in the 150 manual but I would say that if you have to ask about setting it up then you'd probably be better off just going for option 1 as it's easy to get option 2 set up badly.

Hope it helps.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Noodle
    When i had the q150e i found slam setting to be alot more dynamic with music, depth setting sounded 1 note .With movies depth setting was ok but still tended to cut dynamics just my opinion though.
    Gonzo.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You've got a good memory gonzo as you must have half a dozen different subs since then. You will have to be the forums "settings expert"

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Tis true though ,the asw675 had A-b settings b being better for depth but had the same effect as the rel and cut down too much on dynamics Apocalypse also found this to be true with the asw he never used it in depth mode.
    Gonzo settings expert :rotfl:

6. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noodle, thanks that is the sort of thing I was hoping to read.

But presumably I can use both the LFE cable AND the neutrik, with neutrik for stereo and LFE for films, or have I got something very wrong?

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If 'slam' and 'depth' settings just affect the frequency response, which I believe is the case, then the choice of one or the other may partly depend on the room's effects on the sub. If there's a bass suckout (as there is in my room), it may be beneficial to use the slam setting, and this may even result in a flatter frequency response.

Dunc

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dunc
    Both my rel and asw675 subs had slam and depth modes both subs performed better in slam mode that is a fact. whether selecting the lower frequency as in depth mode the sub has to sacrifice output i dont know but thats what it sounded like to me.It would have been nice if the subs could have been put in depth mode without sacrficing output but they wouldnt so they were left in slam.
    Gonzo.

9. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ivor_monkey:

Option 2 only works if you connect the neutrik AND the line level at the same time.